Honored Contributor

Re: Is there anyone else obsessed by Dooney & Bourke Handbags?

@Carmie wrote:

I have collected Dooney since the 1980's... long before QVC.  I also collect Coach and Cole Haan and a few other very expensive bags.  I have way too many and I am over it now.  I have matching wallets for every bag too.

I could kick myself for ever wasting my money over a crazy obsession.

They brought you joy at the timeSmiley Happy  Don't kick yourself lol.  We all have things we collect.  At least with your collection if you ever wanted to sell you could get a lot of your money back.  Enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

I own 6 Dooney's and now I have stopped!  They are hard to resist when QVC shows them but I do have enough!  The bags that are all leather have grown more beautiful with age!!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Not me......they all look alike to me.......

Frequent Contributor

I too love my Dooneys!  I just had my first bad, very disappointing experience with a long wished for Dooney I want to share with the hope you can avoid the same problem.

I've had my eye on the large city dawson for several months. Finally decided between the croco and soft leather, got the soft.  I ordered from the Dooney approved site ilovedooney.com which I've bought several Dooneys from with no problems. I was so excited to get it, I ordered the oyster for $298 it is grey, not oyster!  Called the original Dooney site and was told they've had a lot of complaints about that issue that often colors pictured are really darker in person. No biggie I can exchange it for the lighter bone which should look like the oyster in person.  I did notice the lettering seemed a bit off, maybe a little crooked.  Remember on the dawson the bag dips in and out on front and back just like the barlow. I wanted this particular bag so bad I decided it was that bag and packed for return.   Before I even printed return label I noticed ilovedooney.com didn't have a single large dawson left!  I panicked, I ordered the bone from Dooney for $398.  It arrived in a couple days.  It's a gorgeous bag!  Gorgeous thick soft leather, big, which is what I wanted, the bone was very close to the oyster and was very classy next to the contrasting trim and then my thrill was GONE!  Where the lettering is the bag is not straight, remember I said above about letters on other bag, well these were so bad that they were barely visible being placed where the bag kinda bends over, and they looked crooked!  It's really a design flaw. They are trying to put letters in a straight line on a bag that flows in and out which is the design and it is not a straight surface!  They should have put letters down on the outside pockets or better yet used the square box thing with the Dooney name they use on some bags rather than trying to place individual letters. Also the outside zippers were almost impossible to open and even if I waxed them the pockets were so tight they are worthless.  But the deal breaker for me is the not being able to see the letters and also as on other bag crooked letters!  When I pay $300 and $400 for a bag part of what I'm buying is the name and I expect that name to be able to be seen and not be crooked! So now I have my first 2 Dooneys packed for return.  No huge deal, I've already picked out which one I'm buying instead. : )

BTW. I no longer buy Dooneys from the q as the s&h is free when you buy from Dooney and ilovedooney.com but I understand taking advantage of easy pay.  I would have never been able to buy 2 Dooneys at once but a friend gave me the money to buy one for my birthday, then since I knew I'd get a refund I used the money I saved for Xmas to buy the 2nd one.

* The site ilovedooney.com is approved by Dooney and comes with same guarantee etc as the original Dooney site but they have the same bags often for literally HALF the price Dooney sells them for.  Sometimes they just have a few of a particular bag so when you see one there you want buy it then! The bags they sell are NOT returns they are brand NEW!  I found out about them from a customer service representative at Dooney and Bourke.

Enjoy your bags ladies!

Frequent Contributor

All of my Dooneys are soft leather ( kind?)  lambskin, or pebble leather.  Is florentine leather the kind that scratches easily?  I have my eye on a couple in florentine but am hesitant as I once read a review about a woman scratching her florentine bag the first day.  What leather is the kind that scratches easily?  I had an expensive pair of boots made of whatever kind of leather that is and scratched them up terribly the first time I ever wore them hiking, they were ruined as far as looks.   : (

Thanks ladies!

Frequent Contributor

Just got my 12 days of Dooney email!  There are a couple from the Alto line I can actually afford!  Does anyone have any of the Alto bags?  What do you think?  The Alto Regina has 13 reviews, 4 are negative, 3 are about it falling apart and 1 says it feels like heavy plastic.  In my opinion 3 reviews about a bag falling apart doesn't sound good as often people write their review right after they get their bag so who knows how many have fallen apart.  Ideas? Thoughts?  I'd still love a bag from the Alto line they really look classy and high end but all of my Dooneys do.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie, Kick yourself?  I may feel that way in a few years too, but I am in my 60's, I enjoy my handbags, and I am able to afford them at this time in my life!   If I cannot enjoy life at my age now, why bother!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919, I shop Ross pretty frequent, because there is one close by, and I have never seen a D&B there, I use to see them in TJ Maxx, but not so much anymore, in my area Michael Koors is a big hit, and I just don't like many of his bags because of the cheap looking gold hardware, JMHO!

Frequent Contributor

I have also bought a few bags from ILD, I have not had any problems, so far. In fact I just got an email from ILD that said check your inbox tommorow which starts holiday deals. I dont know, but maybe it is like the regular Dooney site (12 days of Dooney). Will check tommorow.

As far as the Dawson bag, I got the one last year from Q, which is the woven leather Dawson in Tmorro Brown, it is beautiful and I get alot of compliments when carrying. I did not see any problem with the lettering but I agree on the outside zippers, even now a year later I have a hard time opening and shutting them. I dont really use them, its too much work, but luckily the bag is big and the other pockets outside work for me.

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Carmie, Kick yourself?  I may feel that way in a few years too, but I am in my 60's, I enjoy my handbags, and I am able to afford them at this time in my life!   If I cannot enjoy life at my age now, why bother!Smiley Happy

Yep, kick myself.  I cleaned out my closet this past summer and really purged.  I had some D&B and Coach bags that I wanted to let go of.  I tried to give them away.  They were all in brand new condition, no wear and tear or scratches and no one wanted them.  I couldn't even give them away. They all had matching wallets too.

I donated them to Purple Heart.  

I have another load of bags that I need to let go of.  I will just donate them.  The Dooney's still have the registration card in the pocket.  I never even got around to registering them.  

I tried to sell on e-bay, but there is very little interest.  It's not worth the bother.  I am 62 and finally decided that I have too much stuff. 

I want to live a simple life now and not leave too much junk for someone to have to get rid of when I am gone. I figured out that material things don't make my life better.