Esteemed Contributor

Re: Insights on Saffiano Leather please???

@stevieb wrote:

@itiswhatitis... Like any other type of leather, there are going to be variations. Some brands do it well and others less well. I happen to love it, though I wouldn't want all my bags to be done in Saffiano. Done well, it's not as stiff as some would have you believe, though it is usually a more structured leather... It is usually also lighter weight, very durable and very easy to maintain. Ralph Lauren does beautiful Saffinao bags... This isn't to say that Dooney doesn't. I simply don't have any Dooney Saffiano bags so can't really give an opinion of their construction or in-person appearance. Henri Bendel, among others, also does some very nice Saffiano bags.

Thank you.  I don't own a Dooney bag.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@itiswhatitis... Like any other type of leather, there are going to be variations. Some brands do it well and others less well. I happen to love it, though I wouldn't want all my bags to be done in Saffiano. Done well, it's not as stiff as some would have you believe, though it is usually a more structured leather... It is usually also lighter weight, very durable and very easy to maintain. Ralph Lauren does beautiful Saffinao bags... This isn't to say that Dooney doesn't. I simply don't have any Dooney Saffiano bags so can't really give an opinion of their construction or in-person appearance. Henri Bendel, among others, also does some very nice Saffiano bags.

Good point. Thanks for that clarification. All saffiano pieces are not the same. The texture is embossed into the coating, but the quality of the leather underneath and the materials in the coating can make a big difference in feel and suppleness. You are so right.  The first saffianos -- Gucci? I can't recall-- were softer and more supple than today's lower-cost iterations, including Dooney. 

This was part of my question (type of leather).  Thanks for the info.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I personally don't care for Saffiano leather because it looks like the cheap plastic handbags at Walmart.  I know it's easy to clean, wears well, etc., etc. but to my eye it looks like plastic.

I was thinking it was a less quality leather too.  I have been trying to get info about whether it's a good leather or not cause some of them don't look like leather @Kachina624.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

I do not particularly like Saffiano leather as it's stiff as cardboard. What does not work well is Saffiano leather in shoes. It makes the shoes stiff and uncomfortable. I recently saw a whole bunch of Calvin Klein dressy shoes on sale at a Hudson's Bay store and I tried on a pair. The stiff vamp dug into the top of the foot. Clearly nobody actually tried these awful shoes on before they went into production. Saffiano leather may be useful for a structured handbag, but that's it!

Respected Contributor

I own one Coach bag in saffiano leather, purchased because it reminded me (sort of ) like an LV epi bag or a mini Prada.

I wouldn't say it's "stiff." I think I have had to insert  a cardoard peice to ensure that it retains it's shape. If I don't do that and I put something a little heavy, you would be able to see a small indentattion. 

Esteemed Contributor

Here is my understanding of saffiano.  The leather used to create a saffiano handbag is not dyed.  Rather it is coated with a colored resin that has been crosshatched.  

For this reason and only my personal opinion -- might as well purchase faux leather.  But then again, I confess to being a lover of soft, buttery leather.  😊

Esteemed Contributor

If anyone is a fan of both saffiano and Dooney, Macy's has markdowns today on the small Lexi and the Hobo.  Last day of this sale.