Respected Contributor

Re: In search of the perfect tote

The Saffianos are beautiful.  As a tote lover myself, Im always torn between leather and a lighter weight bag.  Dooneys are so heavy sometimes and then with all my junk in it....decisions decisions.

Valued Contributor

There are some nice Kate Spade leather computer tote bags at office supply stores that I have seen go for really cheap the past few months. Even cheaper if the store is closing.

Super Contributor

greeneyedlady:
I just purchased the most amazing tote. The leather is to die for! Very roomy. It's the downtown zip top tote. Mine is the Camel colored. The quality is tops and lightweight. Price was not bad. I recommend highly.

leatherology.com
Super Contributor

If I were to get a good "forever" tote it would be leather and neutral, like:
Black, Camel, Brown, Grey, Bone, etc... It's classier than nylon. Pebble Leather is my favorite.
Honored Contributor

@MeganRose wrote:
If I were to get a good "forever" tote it would be leather and neutral, like:
Black, Camel, Brown, Grey, Bone, etc... It's classier than nylon. Pebble Leather is my favorite.

I tend to agree and for bags in general. The more I try various colors, the more I realize that I simply prefer and get more use from neutrals... And, while there's a place in my wardrobe for pleather, coated cotton and even some nylon, none of them, no matter how upscale they try to make them or how 'on-trend' they might be, can ever really replace a nicer leather bag...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

There is a nice, newly arrived Dooney cabriolet and leather tote on the Dooney site. About $350. I have two older Dooney cabriolet and leather travel bags, which are not heavy and which have worn extremely well. Glad to see the line returning.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up going with a real budget bag for now, a Kenneth Cole reaction from TJ Maxx for $32.00. Not too huge, zip closure, light lining, and for me the best feature is a detachable crossbody strap. It's not real leather obviously, but will have to do. Good in the winter weather too.

I was salivating over some of the leather totes they had at TJM. Ralph Lauren, Kate Spade, others. I got an email from Kate Spade today and they had some pretty totes. I love that you can get them monogrammed too, for some reason I would love to have that. Just seems so classic. Maybe one day....Maybe my next birthday lol.

I like the Dooney Cambridge tote too, I think that's what it's called. Saw that on their site.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up going with a real budget bag for now, a Kenneth Cole reaction from TJ Maxx for $32.00. Not too huge, zip closure, light lining, and for me the best feature is a detachable crossbody strap. It's not real leather obviously, but will have to do. Good in the winter weather too.

I was salivating over some of the leather totes they had at TJM. Ralph Lauren, Kate Spade, others. I got an email from Kate Spade today and they had some pretty totes. I love that you can get them monogrammed too, for some reason I would love to have that. Just seems so classic. Maybe one day....Maybe my next birthday lol.

I like the Dooney Cambridge tote too, I think that's what it's called. Saw that on their site.

Sounds like a good interim choice to meet your needs. I enjoy bags of all kinds, so also have a few KC non-leather bags, as well as by other brands, and one of his nicer leather bags. Enjoy your new bag... And agree, there are some great bags to be found at Marshall's and TJ Maxx ! @Greeneyedlady21...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Got this Lodis tote today at Costco for $60.00! It's leather, zip top, lighter lining. It will probably be heavy once I fill it, but you can't have it all. I love the size, not too huge. It even has a slip pocket in the back that unzips at the bottom so you can slide the bag over a suitcase handle. I have no use for that now but maybe one day. Now I can use it just as an outside pocket.

I got the last black one so I convinced myself that it was meant to be. They had several in luggage tan. Leather seems to be good quality.  Handles are substantial too.s-l400.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

That Lotis bag is so cute.  I just bought (on sale) a black quilted tote from Vera Bradley.  It has a snap closure (I prefer a zipper) but I like it and used it yesterday.  It fit all my paperwork and looked cute.  My old tote was in bad shape!