Respected Contributor

Re: If NOT Dooney, What Handbag Are You Now Loving?

I have a few Dooney's. I don't use them that often anymore. I have gone back to my LV's and am looking at a Brahmin purchase.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

@TY wrote:

I'm thinking of this bag for my first purchase of this line:

Brahmin Melbourne Anywhere Convertible Satchel

Image result for brahmin melbourne anywhere convertible satchel

I love the lines of this bag. Classic!

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Valued Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have been a D & B lover forever!!!!  I have so many nice D & B handbags and excellent quality. 

If I order a new Dooney nowadays, it takes multiple orders to receive a high quality Dooney, if at all.  I find something wrong with all of them.  Mostly the D & B logo can't even be applied straight on the front of the bag.    

I'm looking for a replacement brand since I'm done with D & B.

What is your favorite quality handbag being made today?

TIA  

Woman Happy

I really love dooney but for quite awhile now I've been strictly a wallet gal. Just carrying around my wallet like a fool. I am sure I will set it down somewhere one of these days and lose it. 

Valued Contributor

The handbag I'm REALLY loving right now is actually a Dooney. I've never owned one before but I've admired many of them. I finally broke down a few weeks ago and purchased my very first Dooney as a birthday gift to myself. I've been wanting a nice leather bag for Fall (preferably brown or wine). When I saw A270477 in the T'Moro on sale, I ordered it. OMG, this bag is so classy and the color reminds me of a glossy chocolate candy bar. I'm also impressed in that it has 3 sections of organization with the zipper in the middle. It is a little larger in person then it seemed on tv and a bigger bag then I normally carry, however, but that's okay. My favorite though is the strap in that it doesn't slide off my shoulder and it hugs right underneath my arm. I have several Coach bags that actually annoy me because the shoulder strap would constantly fall down my arm. I just started using it because the weather finally got colder. I kept staring at it while it was under my desk at work because it does stay upright when you place it down. Happy with my first Dooney!

Do you know the name/style of that Fossil bag?  I've been on Macys website and can't find it.  THX!

Contributor

I have several D&B, Coach, Michael Kors, Kate Spade.  I used to really favor the D&B and Coach back in the day when they were made in the U.S.  But you know, now that most bags are made in China, I don't really "value" one of another brand.  I mean, really, if a Fossil bad is made in China, and a Dooney is, too, then why is the Dooney better?

Recently bought a Brahmin and the leather is beautiful and it was a good price.  Before that I got a Kate Spade, and I was very happy with that.  I have to tell you, I was in Talbot's yesterday and they had some gorgeous bags and the leather was so buttery smooth.  I think that will be my next purchase!

Super Contributor

Spoiler

IMG_0087.JPG

Trusted Contributor

I used to carry Dooney and Coach when I lived up north, but they are so pricey and not always the best choice for our hot humid weather here in the South.  They also tend to be heavier bags.  I now prefer lightweight fabric bags that I can carry all year, so I carry mainly Vera Bradley in the solid microfiber colors and in some of the more reserved prints--no large wild prints because I'm a petite lady.  My favorite Vera bag is the Glenna.  I also like to wear the small Carousel crossbody bag by LUG.  So much room in such a tiny bag.  I like my LUG tote bag too, as well as my weekender bag by Vera.  I always choose a fabric bag with tons of pockets and a zippered top closure for security.

Frequent Contributor

@Dog lover11  It's called Morgan North South Crossbody! I found mine at a resale store for $40 and I love it! Did a "google" search and it came up from Dillards website. Didn't check whether it's actually still available or not.

Valued Contributor

I have Dooneys and Coach, but I've found both lines to be rather uninspired the past couple years. I'm not crazy about the design approach Coach has been taking with all the doodads they're sticking on their leather. And, the plain leather seems to be a lesser quality camoflaged by the bumpy texture they've started using. I'm fussy about the feel of a bag's leather. So, i've been looking at other lines and have bought a couple bags from Valentino by Mario Valentino. Both are big bags - the Omia bag - but they have really nice smaller ones also. Their leather is awesome! Also, besides the usual gold or gunmetal hardware, they also haver rose gold tone hardware on some styles.

Nordstrom and Neiman's say the list price is around $1100, but they regularly have them priced in the $300-400 range. I've seen a few popping up on 6pm.com also.

Omia Tote from Valentino by Mario Valentino