Esteemed Contributor

Re: I would rather have cheaper bags and more of them!!

@AngelPuppy1, agree with you. I wouldn't buy a bag at Goodwill either, but if a person is looking for cheap then it's an option! I think the occasional quality bags that might be donated there are probably snapped up within minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never been a handbag person, per se. Over the years I have been the recipient of a sister's hand-me-downs (she definitely got the handbag loving gene!😁).  

I personally have never spent more than $300 on a bag and I only have a handful. They are all neutral and serve my lifestyle and any occasion that might arise well. I view ownship of an inordinate amount of bags as extra work--changing from one to another is a chore and I guess I am just too lazy to be bothered. And then there is the whole storage issue which would send me over the edge.

That being said, I would love to own one high-end bag.  I am currently in love with the Chanel double flap (I know, way high-end), but in the past I have also jonsed for a Tom Ford Jennifer, a Gucci Soho and a YSL Muse. And therein lies the problem. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like to rotate my handbags, also. I'd rather have many reasonably-priced bags than a couple of pricey bags.

I like the variety.

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

i have donated some very nice purses to my church's thrift store. Usually because they are too heavy for me or too large. Someone who would like them got very good quality at low prices.I have recently greatly reduced my purse stash.

@151949

Very nice thing to do!  I can no longer carry heavy or really large bags either!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@magicmoodzwrote:

I have never been a handbag person, per se. Over the years I have been the recipient of a sister's hand-me-downs (she definitely got the handbag loving gene!😁).  

I personally have never spent more than $300 on a bag and I only have a handful. They are all neutral and serve my lifestyle and any occasion that might arise well. I view ownship of an inordinate amount of bags as extra work--changing from one to another is a chore and I guess I am just to lazy to be bothered. And then there is the whole storage issue which would send me over the edge.

That being said, I would love to own one high-end bag.  I am currently in love with the Chanel double flap (I know, way high-end), but in the past I have also jonsed for a Tom Ford Jennifer, a Gucci Soho and a YSL Muse. And therein lies the problem. 

@magicmoodz

I hope you are able to get the handbag of your dreams!  Enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, agree with you. I wouldn't buy a bag at Goodwill either, but if a person is looking for cheap then it's an option! I think the occasional quality bags that might be donated there are probably snapped up within minutes.

@jannabelle1

That is how it works at our Good Will.  To obtain a nice piece of goods there, you have to  know one of the workers well or constantly be running in.  For me, it's not worth the time and effort.  I once, years ago, obtained a Todd bag there.  I still have it and it is in perfect condition.  They obviously did not recognize this brand because I got it for $4!!! 

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBAwrote:

I like to have lots of bags ... I don't spend a lot of money on them.

I'm a big fan of totes and have quite a few along with a number of "normal" handbags.

In the February 5-18 issue of New York Magazine, pages 24-25, there's an article entitled:  Trends:  Trophy Bags.  "In a sea of totes, these are among the most fetishized."

I buy totes as souvenirs when I travel and have some my parents bought back from their travels.  They are colorful and fun to use.  And - great conversation starters.

@ALRATIBA

I like totes also!  I have quite a few that I have gotten when I have been on vacation, etc.  It's a nice remembrance and a good conversation piece, too! 

Honored Contributor

@MoJoVwrote:

@AngelPuppy1 I agree with you. I get tired of things like purses and shoes extremely quickly. I have to keep things moving.  I don't want to pay alot for something that's going to sit in a closet. It's just my personality. I give very little thought to what kind of purse someone has,very little. 

@MoJoV

Yes, this is my feeling, also!  I love cute or pretty things, but I do get bored with the same old bags, shoes, etc.  So, I just have to switch out.  I am the same with cosmetics.  

Honored Contributor

@JavaQueenwrote:

I forgot all about overstock. They do have a wide range of bags and you might even find things that are under $50. That's if you would like items to come to your door. 

@JavaQueen

I haven't shopped there for  long while and thanks for reminding me!  I'll have to check in with them and see what goodies they have! 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoonwrote:

@AngelPuppy1wrote:

@faeriemoonwrote:

What is the price range you're considering?  "Less expensive" means different things to different people.

@faeriemoon

My dream range is below $50.00.  Doesn't sound like much, I guess, but that's where it is.  I found that I don't enjoy the $180 bag I purchased any more than the bag I found on clearance for $20.00!  

When I'm at Marshalls or Maxx I always take a stroll through the bags, even if I'm not in the market for one.  And although my eye always seems to zero in on the pricier things, Jessica Simpson bags often catch my eye.  I have taken them off the rack and examined them and they are very well made.  They are not leather, but the workmanship and the styles are generally very nice.  Since they are not leather, they are often int he price range you are looking for.  You might consider taking a look if you are at either of those stores.  Smiley Happy

@AngelPuppy1

@faeriemoon

Yes, I will do that!  I have seen some pretty things of hers at Macy's in the past.  She has some killer shoes!  I can't wear them, but I enjoy looking at them nevertheless!