Esteemed Contributor

Re: I would rather have cheaper bags and more of them!!

I have some nice leather Dooneys and about10 or 12 "cheaper"

I got 2 bags on Amazon for $39 from "Mia K Farrow" line and the hardware is gorgeous....

Honored Contributor

I love a certain brand of bag. I have gotten lots of brand new ones from ebay

I want the best quality bag  I can afford. They hold up better, and longer

Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@AngelPuppy1wrote:

I know bags are a big business and we all love them!  It's nice to have so many different sizes, shapes, etc. to pick from!

I like having a nice bag to carry and it makes you feel good.  But as I'm gettng older, I find that I don't care so much about the name tag and spending a ton of money on one bag that will live longer and be around way after I am dead and gone!

I do not like to carry just one bag forever and ever.  That's another reason why I think it's not cost effective for me to buy a really expensive bag.  I would rather have more of them and change a lot!

I don't want a purse to look cheap - I like cute purses or simple ones that feel good to carry.

Just wondered if anyone felt the same?

Also -- I am asking for recommendations.  Can you recommend some inexpensive lines of handbags that are nice to carry?

If I do find bags that fit my particular needs these days they are usually way too expensive.  I like a pretty basic style the best --- a shopper  --- not too large and not to small.  I would rather have a small pocket on the outside of some kind to put keys in also.

Thanks for all replies! 

@AngelPuppy1  Sorry to disagree for several reasons. Years ago I owned several Tiganello bags (leather, but man made trims). They were $70-$100...not inexpensive, but certainly not an expensive designer bag. None of them help up after a year of dragging it in & out of car, hanging on door knob, being on floors of restaurants, caught in the rain, etc. I also became tired of changing bags often....the red one was ready and loaded, I’m late, so found myself wearing red for days. 

That lead me to neutral D&B bags and to go back to the LV bags I had that go with everything. I’ve had some LV bags for over 40 yrs. and don’t have to change them out every day. I carry too much stuff in a lg. bag to change them out daily.

@Shanus

That's fine.  We all have different opinions-- that's what makes the world interesting, right?

Not me --- I am not hard on my bags.  I have been carrying a Tig which I bought on clearance at Marshall's for about $22.  It's beautiful leather and hardware, has everything I need and want.  I have carried it now for several months and it still looks great!  However, I am sick of it.  For me, there is no way I can or want to spend a ton on bags.  Those days are over for me.  But I respect everyone's right to spend as much or as little as they want to find their happy handbag place!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippiewrote:

Im  with you.  I have had  D&B, Coach, and White Mountain.  I am now buying my bags either at Cato or Amazon and they are very inexpensive.  I get more compliments on the cheaper bags than I ever did on my "name" brand bags.  Amazon has a ton of inexpensive non designer bags.  I like them better as they have more outside pocket, cute styles, and light colored interior cloth so I can see whats inside.  Plus I can have more because of the lower price.

@Imaoldhippie

Yes, my feelings.  Plus, I have to have a light bag.  With my shoulder and back issues, this is a necessity!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21wrote:

Agree with this post. I usually don’t spend >$100 on a bag because it’s only a rare few I really like and use. I work too hard to spend a lot, then I don’t like it and it sits around unused, staring at me, making me feel guilty! 😳🤑🤯

Also, I guess I’m not hard on bags, because none have ever gotten beat up enough that they are un-useable... So for me, quality doesn’t seem linked to money spent... 

@Skyegirl21

That's how I am.  I have a few bags that I spent what I consider to be a ridiculous amount of money.  Don't get me wrong --- they are nice and well crafted but I just don't have a need for this any more.  And I am not hard on mine either.  I can have a bag -- any bag -- for 25 years or more -- I mean, if I chose to keep one for that long. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50wrote:

My criteria:  crossbody, lightweight, under $50.  Seldom change my bag and have yet to have one fall apart.  Favorites brands: LeSportSac, Baggalini, some Vera Bradley.  

@kaydee50

Yeah, that's about where I'm coming from, too! 

Honored Contributor

@Soonerwrote:

I like carrying a very nice bag, so I don't buy as many, and most are neutral. I am way more into quality than variety, but there's something out there for every taste, budget, and need.  

I still have Coach bags that are 45 years old (I can tell you the exact Christmas I got them) and I still carry sometimes.  I don't know how you can get a better value than that. 

@Sooner

Yes, you spoke true words!  I have a bunch of older Coach bags and they are like iron!  

Honored Contributor

@steviebwrote:

I too wish I could return the vast majority of bags I impulse bought for a cash refund, but that isn't going to happen, so instead, I'm opting to stop making the same mistake by continuing to over-buy something I already have way too many of... I still prefer a nicer bag, but am also not opposed to carrying a 'cheapie' if I like it... I'm another one who think the best bargains are to be had by checking TJ Maxx and Marshall's on a regular basis. They do often carry quite a few unremarkable pleather bags, but they also usually offer a decent variety of nicer bags and brands at good prices and they also do mark their bags down from time to time.

@stevieb

I am very limited in stores around me.  I have a Marshall's but no T.J. Maxx, or Macy's or Burlington.  

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoonwrote:

What is the price range you're considering?  "Less expensive" means different things to different people.

@faeriemoon

My dream range is below $50.00.  Doesn't sound like much, I guess, but that's where it is.  I found that I don't enjoy the $180 bag I purchased any more than the bag I found on clearance for $20.00!  

Honored Contributor

My mother and I are opposites on the way we select things.  She would take five cheap bags and I'd always buy one really nice one.  I enjoy the details--the leather, stitching, how it is put together and how it will wear.  Those are details I notice every time I carry the bag or put it on the shelf.

Mother is about fashion.  She likes a lot of "stuff' and the item of the minute.  She also loves quality and taught me to love it as well, BUT she also enjoys cheaper things she can wear awhile for the look and toss.

I am a plainer dresser, hate to wear what everyone  else wears and like classic clothing and accessories.  I always have.  So we find the way to shop that works for each of us.