Honored Contributor

I would rather have cheaper bags and more of them!!

I know bags are a big business and we all love them!  It's nice to have so many different sizes, shapes, etc. to pick from!

I like having a nice bag to carry and it makes you feel good.  But as I'm gettng older, I find that I don't care so much about the name tag and spending a ton of money on one bag that will live longer and be around way after I am dead and gone!

I do not like to carry just one bag forever and ever.  That's another reason why I think it's not cost effective for me to buy a really expensive bag.  I would rather have more of them and change a lot!

I don't want a purse to look cheap - I like cute purses or simple ones that feel good to carry.

Just wondered if anyone felt the same?

Also -- I am asking for recommendations.  Can you recommend some inexpensive lines of handbags that are nice to carry?

If I do find bags that fit my particular needs these days they are usually way too expensive.  I like a pretty basic style the best --- a shopper  --- not too large and not to small.  I would rather have a small pocket on the outside of some kind to put keys in also.

Thanks for all replies! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: I would rather have cheaper bags and more of them!!

I'll tell you what I do. I go to google and enter what I want, color, style, outside pockets. Then I check all of the results. There is usually a large group of bags to choose from in all price ranges.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I think you should buy your bags from brick&mortar stores.  You'll have better luck finding what you want at the price point you want from Macy's or Marshall's.

Honored Contributor

shop at sales, this weekend is a big sale weekend.

I don't know where you live but Lord and Taylor has always done great sales on bags, and with their coupons !!!! can't go wrong 

Marshalls and TJ's even though I like to shop there not so great, too much  fake leather, unless you find a TJ's that has a section with the Made in Italy bags

Esteemed Contributor

Marshall’s is a great idea. They have a huge selection.I find that in order to get what I want I have to go back 2 or 3 consecutive weeks .The one near me gets new inventory every Wednesday.I go on Thursday mornings when I’m on the hunt.

Macy’s is a good choice too.You can combine a coupon with a sale & get a great bag for half price or less!!

Honored Contributor

I'm with you, OP. I just can not justify paying hundreds of dollars for a purse. Now a days I can no longer carry a heavy leather purse so weight is my first concern when buying a bag.And, like you, I like to change out my purses pretty often. 

I'm not a leather snob either. I like and do carry Vera Bradleys and Bella Taylor quilted fabric bags. I still have a few Sak bags that are in like new shape too.

Honored Contributor

Im  with you.  I have had  D&B, Coach, and White Mountain.  I am now buying my bags either at Cato or Amazon and they are very inexpensive.  I get more compliments on the cheaper bags than I ever did on my "name" brand bags.  Amazon has a ton of inexpensive non designer bags.  I like them better as they have more outside pocket, cute styles, and light colored interior cloth so I can see whats inside.  Plus I can have more because of the lower price.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1wrote:

I know bags are a big business and we all love them!  It's nice to have so many different sizes, shapes, etc. to pick from!

I like having a nice bag to carry and it makes you feel good.  But as I'm gettng older, I find that I don't care so much about the name tag and spending a ton of money on one bag that will live longer and be around way after I am dead and gone!

I do not like to carry just one bag forever and ever.  That's another reason why I think it's not cost effective for me to buy a really expensive bag.  I would rather have more of them and change a lot!

I don't want a purse to look cheap - I like cute purses or simple ones that feel good to carry.

Just wondered if anyone felt the same?

Also -- I am asking for recommendations.  Can you recommend some inexpensive lines of handbags that are nice to carry?

If I do find bags that fit my particular needs these days they are usually way too expensive.  I like a pretty basic style the best --- a shopper  --- not too large and not to small.  I would rather have a small pocket on the outside of some kind to put keys in also.

Thanks for all replies! 

@AngelPuppy1  Sorry to disagree for several reasons. Years ago I owned several Tiganello bags (leather, but man made trims). They were $70-$100...not inexpensive, but certainly not an expensive designer bag. None of them help up after a year of dragging it in & out of car, hanging on door knob, being on floors of restaurants, caught in the rain, etc. I also became tired of changing bags often....the red one was ready and loaded, I’m late, so found myself wearing red for days. 

That lead me to neutral D&B bags and to go back to the LV bags I had that go with everything. I’ve had some LV bags for over 40 yrs. and don’t have to change them out every day. I carry too much stuff in a lg. bag to change them out daily.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

I think you should buy your bags from brick&mortar stores.  You'll have better luck finding what you want at the price point you want from Macy's or Marshall's.

@chrystaltree  Yes. I’ve found Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren, D&B, Michael Kirsten and other expensive bags for less than $100 at TJ Max & Marshall’s. You just have to be willing to go often & find out which day the “truck comes” & new stock is put on the floor. That’s the best day to go.

Honored Contributor

I prefer fewer bags because I rarely change them out.  I like a crossbody, under a pound and a longer strap.  That limits my variety.  I typically don't look for bags.  If I stumble across my criteria, I buy.  At that point, I'm not so concerned about price.