Respected Contributor

I wish QVC/HSN would purchase Henri Bendel!

I have been purchasing some Henri Bendel handbags recently, as I will lose the chance to do so, forever, after January 2019, when they plan to close all of their stores and online presence, too.  The bags I have purchased are truly awesome-- not a bad one in the bunch!  These bags are different from all other brands out there, and they are made well.  I wish I had discovered this brand years ago. I just went to one of their stores (Short Hills) today and saw some other bags, wallets, and cosmetic cases in colors that I had been oogling and drooling over online, and they were stunning, IMHO. 

Oh well.  Nothing lasts forever, I guess.  This exclusive store brand made it through 123 years, and that is quite an extraordinary accomplishment in and of itself.

Honored Contributor

Re: I wish QVC/HSN would purchase Henri Bendel!

They'd just dilute it and ultimately ruin it...

Smiley Surprised

Agree though, hate to see HB's run come to a close...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

It is just so sad.  There will be no retail stores, low end or high end, left pretty soon.  Soon everyone will be buying everything from Amazon.  No other online or box chain retailer will be able to compete in the near future. 

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

I have been purchasing some Henri Bendel handbags recently, as I will lose the chance to do so, forever, after January 2019, when they plan to close all of their stores and online presence, too.  The bags I have purchased are truly awesome-- not a bad one in the bunch!  These bags are different from all other brands out there, and they are made well.  I wish I had discovered this brand years ago. I just went to one of their stores (Short Hills) today and saw some other bags, wallets, and cosmetic cases in colors that I had been oogling and drooling over online, and they were stunning, IMHO. 

Oh well.  Nothing lasts forever, I guess.  This exclusive store brand made it through 123 years, and that is quite an extraordinary accomplishment in and of itself.

@Jersey Born I wish that, too!!

I am very sad Henri Bendel is closing in January 2019. I was shocked when I read the news article! Woman Surprised

I will greatly miss this elegant handbag brand. Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

@EdithEllenLily. I just bought the Bowery Holographico Snake Satchel in purple multi at 30% off after seeing it in person.  It was so much nicer in person than I expected it would be.  I also loved the Belmont Petrol Tote, but my kids thought it was a tad too eccentric, even for their slightly eccentric mom.  I still think it looked awesome in person!  

Honored Contributor

Everytime another store closes it saddens me.  I still miss B. Altman's one of the most elegant department stores I've been to !!  I also miss Woolworth's which was a great variety store to browse and buy all sorts of items.

The closing of Bendel's, which has been around since I can remember, is yet another example of a quality store closing.  I enjoy driving to different stores and shopping or just browsing, being around people and taking my time.  I like to see what I am buying.  As everyone else I also shop online but most of my shopping experience occurs in stores.  

I can remember every Christmas walking along fifth Ave. at Manhatten and window shopping.  It was magical and made the holidays even more exciting.  While I know many people prefer on line shopping which is their choice, I will continue being out and about for my shopping fun. 

Sorry about Henri Bendel's closing as I am about all the other great stores.

Respected Contributor

@spiderw.  I remember B. Altman's, and Woolworth, too.  They were great fun to visit as a child.  Also, Two Guys, Daffy Dan's, Brentanno's (a bookstore), and Pete & Charlie's Restaurant where I had my very last birthday party at the age of 12!

So many wonderful memories of stores gone by, or is it stores that went out of business?     

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

It is just so sad.  There will be no retail stores, low end or high end, left pretty soon.  Soon everyone will be buying everything from Amazon.  No other online or box chain retailer will be able to compete in the near future. 

Probably true and very sad. Frankly, lately I've been finding Amazon increasingly disappointing in so many ways. They've gotten too big and it shows and yet they're always promoting their next big thing. I find myself avoiding their website more and more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So many quality stores gone... Christmas shopping used to be fun when you could walk between the great stores we used to have in my region, all of which are now gone... Woodward and Lothrop (I will never get over this one), Hechts, Garfinkels, Raleighs, Jellefs, Kanns, Landsburgs, Camalier and Buckley... and on and on...

And yes, I also miss the many variety stores we used to have too... GC Murphy, Greens, Kresge, Woolworth and Woolco, and Caldor, among others...

By comparison, somehow, Walmart, Macy's and Amazon are just not cutting it...

Honored Contributor

@Jersey BornI wonder?   Today I went out of my way to go to Target -  could not believe how many shoppers were there!  Huge parking lot and I had to hunt for space anywhere close to the door. The first lot I drove into was totally full.  I know the percentage of online shoppers is rising, but the majority of retail sales are still brick and mortar according to the financial people.

As for HB closing?  There's one of their stores in a busy upscale mall near me.  Virtually no traffic even in the busiest seasons.  I couldn't say why -  the merchandise looks well made.  The only thing I find that has made me a non-buyer is that my life is super casual and most of their inventory is more dressy or business - at least in my assessment. Sorry to see another old firm close down.