Respected Contributor

I can't use any of my leather handbags :(

I have only bought shoulder bags, for their convenience.  I wouldn't want to have to carry a bag in my hand/arm.  So... my neck and shoulder on the right side started really aching and I knew it was from the weight of the handbag.  I decided to go cold turkey and get a Kipling gold bag.  It's much lighter and has a shoulder strap and a crossbody strap.  QVC had a TSV Kipling handbag a while ago, but the gold was sold out, so I purchased a similar one from Macy's.  I love it.

I'm going to get rid of *some* of my leather bags.  (I don't know where yet - don't want to be bothered with ebay, etc.)  I'll keep a few of my favorites and "carry" them for special occasions.  Oh well.  The perils of the "Golden years."  Smiley Sad

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Re: I can't use any of my leather handbags :(

@spent2much,   You don't need to get rid of your bags.  You need to make them lighter and don't pull everything but the kitchen sink in them.  Years ago I had pain from a shoulder bag and my bag weighed too much.  I usually carry a crossboy and use a shoulder bag.  I don't buy heavy bags to begin with.  My bags are by Kate Spade not that it matters but the ones I selected do not weight much at all..  D&B bags weigh too much.  I have not experienced any problems.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Just emptied a drawer full of leather shoulder bags!  Arthritis in my shoulders....have been using a Vera long strap shoulder...so much more comfortable...down to just carrying a wallet and keys....texted my daughter and told her to come get whatever bags she wants....they're all over the bed in the spare room!!  I think I will donate what's left to a women's shelter....

Respected Contributor

YES!  That's the bag that put me over the edge - D&B!!!  LOL  I've really lightened my handbag load, though, and the handbags themselves are too heavy.  That's why I went to cloth.  It's ok.  I'll live through it.  Smiley LOL  Thanks for your advice, though!  

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

I have only bought shoulder bags, for their convenience.  I wouldn't want to have to carry a bag in my hand/arm.  So... my neck and shoulder on the right side started really aching and I knew it was from the weight of the handbag.  I decided to go cold turkey and get a Kipling gold bag.  It's much lighter and has a shoulder strap and a crossbody strap.  QVC had a TSV Kipling handbag a while ago, but the gold was sold out, so I purchased a similar one from Macy's.  I love it.

I'm going to get rid of *some* of my leather bags.  (I don't know where yet - don't want to be bothered with ebay, etc.)  I'll keep a few of my favorites and "carry" them for special occasions.  Oh well.  The perils of the "Golden years."  Smiley Sad

Nowadays, I only carry the basics in my handbag.  

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Kipling! Nice to hear others like it after the Kipling TSV bashing saying it was ugly. But, maybe for your favorite leather bags you want to keep could you break your pattern and put it on your left side? I do that so my right dominant side is free to pick up items in a store while my left is on my bag in case anyone is aiming to try and steal it. I have wrist issues on my right, so I sometimes switch, but habits can be hard to break. 👜😉 I didn't get the TSV, but bought the Reth in the sparkly gold, not glittery like some complained, and really like it, too.

Esteemed Contributor

I lightened up what I carry in my bags.... and I bought some non leather to switch on and off with.......I'm not ready to give them up yet......LOL

Honored Contributor

Those D&B bags are just ridiculously heavy. I love my Vera or Bella Taylor lightweight bags but also have a few leather bags that aren't too heavy. Thank Goodness I never got caught up in the D&B fascination.