Respected Contributor

Re: How often do you switch handbags?

I switch the bag I carry to work every season and I'll choose one of my smaller crossbodies on the weekends, if I'm going anywhere besides grocery shopping. For shopping, I just take my cell phone in its wallet case which has slots for my DL and credit cards and I don't carry a purse at all.

Valued Contributor

Stevieb, I love that bag, I've never seen that one the Sutton Hampshire, where did you get it?  I'll have to look for it. 

Respected Contributor

I switched to Vera Bradley bags a couple of years ago because they're lightweight and they're pretty. I like to carry an English Garden (I think that's what it's called) bowler bag in the Fall and Winter. It's got a chocolate brown background with peony-like flowers in pinks, white and coral. I've got a variety of VB bags in brighter prints that I carry in the Spring & Summer. I also have some Little Hipster crossbodies in several patterns that I like to use if I want/need to have my hands free (i.e., marathon shopping sprees, travel, etc.). So I guess I switch handbags twice a year as well as when I use a crossbody.

Esteemed Contributor

You ladies have some beautiful bags.  I no longer switch bags, at least not very often.  I try to carry something neutral that can be used year-round.   I remember back in the 80’s when bags and shoes were supposed to match.  I would change my bag almost daily to match my shoes.  It was such a hassle.  I think I’m rebelling now by not switching. Lol. 

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I switched to Vera Bradley bags a couple of years ago because they're lightweight and they're pretty. I like to carry an English Garden (I think that's what it's called) bowler bag in the Fall and Winter. It's got a chocolate brown background with peony-like flowers in pinks, white and coral. I've got a variety of VB bags in brighter prints that I carry in the Spring & Summer. I also have some Little Hipster crossbodies in several patterns that I like to use if I want/need to have my hands free (i.e., marathon shopping sprees, travel, etc.). So I guess I switch handbags twice a year as well as when I use a crossbody.

@Eileen in Virginia & Handbag Sisters:

Vera Bradley! VB gives us SO many (affordable) opportunities to switch out our handbags more often and delight ourselves (and others) with new colors and patterns.

From my collection, handbag treasures, all:

pinkSwirls.jpg

mailbagMidnight.jpeg

emeraldPaisley.jpg

Vera-BradleyTeaGarden.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

My VB Glenna Bag (Petal Paisley) is winging it's way from the eBay VB store as we speak.  Perfect for Spring I think.  

Honored Contributor

@ambassador wrote:

Stevieb, I love that bag, I've never seen that one the Sutton Hampshire, where did you get it?  I'll have to look for it. 

@QuinnPenny I actually got that one right here from as-is, and it was in like new condition. It's an older bag and not always easy to find but well worth it if you do... That said, I'd not pay full retail for it, as I thought it was a bit rich for a coated bag, but I do really like this one.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:
@stevieb wrote:

@1Professor I've also been hankering to use one of my older (and better...) Romas, so if it's not the Hampshire, it'll probably be the natural ostrich....

Woman Wink

@stevieb: There are days (lately) when I begin to suspect that my Roma 2's and Large Romas will end up being the only GILI bags I adore.

@1Professor That's the conclusion I reached. I tried several other of the Lisa-era Gilis and while they were nice bags, they just didn't do it for me. Of the current era bags I've seen, sorry to say, they just don't look to pass muster with me on many levels, and I don't think that's likely to change. I'll be interested to see what they do with the Roma, but if the pictures I've seen are any indication, I probably won't be going there. It doesn't appear as sturdy, the hardware appears to be different and enough already with the snake prints...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have this D & B coated cotton and love it.  Someone on this blog recommended it and I am glad I listened.

Ambassador, Ilovedooney currently has the "1975" look Richmond Shopper for a very good price: love the red handles and trim.  

Finally, the trim works with that red DB interior.

Red

Red thumb-1

Honored Contributor

@hicindy2 wrote:

I have this D & B coated cotton and love it.  Someone on this blog recommended it and I am glad I listened.

Ambassador, Ilovedooney currently has the "1975" look Richmond Shopper for a very good price: love the red handles and trim.  

Finally, the trim works with that red DB interior.

@hicindy2 That floral was one of the very few Dooney florals that I thought was exceptional. As I recall, it came in a few color options and if they were smart they'd have kept that one around... To me, it's so much nicer (and clearly more unique) than some of their more cloying seasonal florals.