Esteemed Contributor

Re: How many purses do you own?

@gidgetgh : Hello friend!

I love me a good bag purchased at a good price. Only a guesstimate, but probably 50 (or more) purses. Some are for special occasions, others are seasonal, still a couple of others are vintage. All sizes, shapes and colors. All are enjoyed.

I should look at any spring & summer bags that have not been in regular rotation recently and see if any can go.

Over half my bags are Dooney's. Most I ever paid for any bag was $175.00 and that was years ago. It's a Dooney hobo and I still have it. That price is still my "high water mark" and has dissuaded me from buying any bag over that amount.

I have slowed down my handbag purchases. I always look, but seldom buy now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Over 200, most are in storage. It is a 25 year collection of mostly vintage bags   Although my collection agoes back to late 1800's. Most centers around funkier trendy bags of 1930's to 1960's. The last ten years have centered around unusual bags. Fun.  I especially love  lucite, Bakelite metel bags like Rex Dorset. And wood bags from Enid Collins. I used to change bags everyday when I worked. People waited to see what bag I wore, so much fun. Now they are in storage. I have about 50 in closet rest wrapped in storage. Need museum to donate or sell collection. On valentines I take out my mailbox kate spade bag,  Mother's Day the flower pot purse.  If I go to play I wear the Moschino La Scala bag. Lol. I have fun. But last few years I wear 2 bags all the time in winter a black Tory Burch, in spring my Kate spade beehive "oh honey" purse. People have offered to  buy that one off me on the street   400 bucks. Lol. Can't do it. Purses are the most fun, interesting hobby. One of favorite I wear to weddings is a Rex Dorset 1940's gold metal small rectangle cocktail bag. It has a built in compact, mirror, cigarette holder, lol... I use for money, and a lipstick holder. Still has Elizabeth Arden red orange lipstick in it.  It has a small chain. Has everything you need for a party or wedding

Respected Contributor

I have a closet full of handbags and Dooneys are my favorites...I have at least 25 of those. Purses are my thing...love them. 

Esteemed Contributor

As a result of @gidgetgh  starting this thread, I counted: 70.

At least half are Dooneys. The total does not include casual tote bags, like LE boat totes.

I looked to see what I could part with and did not come up with any. I use my summer bags in regular rotation, including an old white leather D&B Luna, a coated cotton limited edition D&B and a couple of Think Roylyn metallic quilted nylon crossbodies purchased recently from the Q outlet near Studio Park.

I will look through my VBs to see what I don't use often and maybe donate one or two.

Trusted Contributor

Too many!! But it’s one of my favorite things to collect like so many others here. And just off the top of my head I have several brands and Styles.
Around 45 Brahmin, 3 Tory Burch, two coach, 3 Kate spade, 2 long champ and one of my favorite brands is the two Hammit I have with the softest leather. Also seven Louis Vuitton and one or two PN . . So far this year I gave 10 away to family and friends and co workers. Hopefully I can streamline them down when I retire in a few years.
Honored Contributor

I admit to having way more than I need; probably in the area of 40 to 50 bags.  

I heard a phone call on a Dooney show recently that kind of bugged me.  A woman called in and said she had 140 Dooneys and each one had a matching wallet.  Not that it's any of my business, but I wondered if she was one of the lonely people that the Q seems to prey on, and convinces them that they either NEED something or their life will be so much better if they buy it.

I hope she is someone who has loads of discretionary income to blow on something she loves, but she didn't really sound that way...

Clearly how anyone spends their money is their own business, I just don't like to see people manipulated.

Respected Contributor

I recently cleaned out my purse shelf and gave away about 10 I haven't used in years. Donated most but did sell a Dooney hardly used and 2 Coach bags that were just too heavy. Also donated several Vera Bradley totes. Then I went and bought 2 new bags, lol.

Respected Contributor

I have about 25 lovely purses: mostly Coach, some Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, one  vintage Fendi and one Celine C-Bag.  I used to work at Coach as a sales associate and I had a very generous employee discount, so I bought most of my collection while working there.  I worked at Celine and was obsessed with the gorgeous carmel colored c-bag, but it was far too expensive even with an employee discount.  I found my dream carmel colored Celine C-bag three years after leaving that job and bought it at a fantastic price from a consignment website in near mint condition. I treasure and clean/moisturize all of my purses and I don't think I'll need a new purse for a very long time! Smiley HappyHeart

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  There is a pretty new Tea Time bag up at bag lady's  that made me think of you immediately because I think you'd like it. 🙂

• BTW  have you thought of selling bags you don't want at Poshmark?
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@gidgetgh  There is a pretty new Tea Time bag up at bag lady's  that made me think of you immediately because I think you'd like it. 🙂

• BTW  have you thought of selling bags you don't want at Poshmark?

@Pearlee - I sell them at a consignment store near my house. In terms of the bags you mentioned, surprisingly, I've kind of grown tired of them. I don't know why. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?