Esteemed Contributor

Re: How big of a handbag is too big for a petite person?

I am just five-two and wanted a drawstring bag a while back.

At least at the time, the I Love Dooney website carried a smaller size, as well as the larger one.  I ordered the smaller size, and must say I am very pleased.  I do have to be concerned with bag weight, as anything too heavy bothers my back.  That’s just me.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this matter. Normally I would never even consider a bag of this size, but I just fell in love with how it looks. But, like meowingkitty, I carry very little with me, so there would be a lot of empty, unused space. I wish Patricia Nash would make this bag in a smaller size. That would be perfect for me. Well, I have almost 30 days to make up my mind. It's going to be difficult--wish I didn't like it so much. 

Oh, @skatting44, your response of "when it looks as though the bag is so over sized that you could climb inside" gave me quite a chuckle. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper I would say it would depend on how much stuff you need/want to carry!  I do not usually carry a bag and just put my thin card case in my jean pockets but when I worked I needed a huge one for stuff I might need.  For me it was never about fashion but practically.  I just would not be swayed by anything some judgemental person or anyone for that matter might think!!  It's you you have to please!

Honored Contributor

I'm 5' 2" and carry large HANDbags.  If you love that bag have more holes punched in the strap so it falls correctly.  The bag size isn't going to look stupid, but the bag hanging around your knees will.

Personally I think it's silly to assume a small person has to carry a small bag.

Honored Contributor

I'm 5' tall and buy the handbag I like. I've had large bags and small bags. Right now, I'm using Brahmin "Katie" and love it so much that I bought it in 2 colors.

Use whatever size handbag you like and want.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

I know this is a silly question, but I'd like to hear what others think. I'm only 5 feet tall and normally purchase purses that are small to medium sized. However, the Q had the Patricia Nash Brindisi drawstring bag on the other day, and I fell in love with it. I knew it was a big bag, but I decided to take a chance and ordered it anyway. Well, wearing it crossbody,  the bottom of the bag is close to my knee--way too long! Obviously I can add holes and make it shorter, but it's still a big bag. Although I know it's up to me whether or not I want to keep it, I can't help but wonder if others would view me wearing it as ridiculous looking. Can any of you see a short person using this bag? Thanks for your opinions.

@qualityshopper   I didn't see the bag you're referring to, but I'm 5'1" and had the same issue. I used to carry huge D&B hobo bags. One day, I caught a glimpse of myself in a department store mirror and realized how oversized it looked on me. The proportions were way off. I'd always worn a huge bag, but my shoulders and back were also  paying the price. I had to pare down what I lugged around and am now carrying a Baggalini nylon small crossbody. 

Now the bag is more in line with MY frame. It's definitely not heavy or overwhelming. It's certainly up to you if you want to go to a smaller bag, but if you already have doubts....well, that's a telltale sign. 

Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of Patricia Nash handbags, if you check her website, she has a limited collection of her “postcard” bags.

They are smaller and lighter and have a lovely scene on the front.  But not too tiny.  I just got my Easter present from DH,

which I picked out - of course, the Paris crossbody.  Not cheap, but I am in love.  I have many other smaller bags for everyday use, but this one will be my church, museum, etc.bag when we think things are safe.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this matter. Normally I would never even consider a bag of this size, but I just fell in love with how it looks. But, like meowingkitty, I carry very little with me, so there would be a lot of empty, unused space. I wish Patricia Nash would make this bag in a smaller size. That would be perfect for me. Well, I have almost 30 days to make up my mind. It's going to be difficult--wish I didn't like it so much. 

Oh, @skatting44, your response of "when it looks as though the bag is so over sized that you could climb inside" gave me quite a chuckle. Smiley Very Happy

I usually carry a big bag  when I go on trips  or when I used to work full time. I switch it up on my bags , some are small and medium and some big . Always want to carry the " just right " bag for each occasion.

Trusted Contributor

@qualityshopper 

If you love it that much and want to keep it.  Then do that.  Maybe it won't be your everyday bag.  But for those days when you gotta take a bunch of stiff with you, carry it and love it. 

i agree with the poster that mentioned about not killing your back by filling it up too much.  To take up space maybe you can just put a scarf or maybe put all your stuff in a smaller bag inside, so it's not a big black hole.

Life is too short.  If you love the bag, keep it and find a use for it...

Valued Contributor

Again, thanks so much everyone for sharing your thoughts on this.  I so appreciate your advice.

I hadn't included a pic of my bag, so I thought I'd include it here so you can see what it looks like. As I said, I really, really like it. Fortunately it isn't heavy at all. It's just going to have a lot of empty space since I don't carry much. As @justashopper suggested, I can always put some other things inside to help fill it (I've even thought about just adding some tissue paper). Wish I didn't like so much, but I do!

Had the same problem with one of her bags a while back. She had a Todays' Special on HSN, kind of a tote style, but not technically a tote. I would not have even considered it until I saw that one of the choices had a picture of a horse's head on it.  Could not resist it, especially since I have a blue jean jacket with a horse's head emboidered on the back. Fortunately it had both a removable crossbody strap and two shorter shoulder straps which greatly help. I'll just need to shorten this one if I decide to keep it, which I probably will.

Again, THANKS!