Valued Contributor

How big of a handbag is too big for a petite person?

I know this is a silly question, but I'd like to hear what others think. I'm only 5 feet tall and normally purchase purses that are small to medium sized. However, the Q had the Patricia Nash Brindisi drawstring bag on the other day, and I fell in love with it. I knew it was a big bag, but I decided to take a chance and ordered it anyway. Well, wearing it crossbody,  the bottom of the bag is close to my knee--way too long! Obviously I can add holes and make it shorter, but it's still a big bag. Although I know it's up to me whether or not I want to keep it, I can't help but wonder if others would view me wearing it as ridiculous looking. Can any of you see a short person using this bag? Thanks for your opinions.

Honored Contributor

Re: How big of a handbag is too big for a petite person?

@qualityshopper Well I am a rebel at heart LOL. I say get as big a purse/bag as you WANT!  I think some of those "rules" are just plain silly.

I've seen very petite women with huge purses and I think it's fine. I've seen very large women with little purses and that's fine, too!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is it bigger than a breadbox?  That's what I always go by.  I try not to carry big bags.  I am short and until recent years was very tiny.  Now I am a bigger girl but I am still short.  I heard that many years ago and try to use it as my rule "Is it bigger than a breadbox?"

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 5'1" and I only buy small bags. To me anything over 12" x 7 x 3 is much to big for me. I also don't carry much either. Keys, cards,phone, aspirin, tissue and a small sanitizer. I usually like something around 8 x 8 or so. I also like organizer bags so I don't have to carry a wallet. Right now I'm carrying a Brighton organizer that is 8.5 x 6.5. The bag you are asking about would be to big for me. 

Respected Contributor

If you love the bag invest in getting more holes added to make it shorter. I am afraid if you don't you will never be happy because you are questioning it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 5'1". I occasionally carry a big bag, but it has to have a short over the shoulder strap where I can tuck the bag under my arm.  I can't wear a big crossbody or a large bag on my arm. If It is is below my hips, it is uncomfortable and no matter how much I like it, I know I won't use it.

I don't think..for me any way that it is a problem of how it looks but a question of how comfortable I am carrying the bag.  

I just know when a bag isn't for me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 5'2" and my go to Patricia Nash bag is the Carmini (coated fabric). Lightweight and lots of handy pockets. 

• Approx. 9" W x 10" H x 4.5" D bag; 12.5" - 26" strap drop

In leather I can manage the Ascot tote: I have this one and it works for me.

Color:Peruvian Painting - Image 1 - Peruvian Painting Collection Ascot Tote Bag

. 9.5" W x 12.75" H x 5.125" D bag; 10" handle

I was in Macy's today testing out the PN Spring arrivals and none of them currently work for me.  If you are not "comfortable" with the bag (for any reason), you just won't carry it frequently enough to justify the purchase. Go with what just feels "right". 

Trusted Contributor

@qualityshopper  No question is ever silly, so never be shy in asking.  Get the purse that YOU like. There are no rules in terms of the size of the person and the purse. You are the one that has to use and carry it so get what you prefer.  

Honored Contributor

You can WRECK your shoulder by carrying a heavy purse over an extended period of time......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

when it looks as though the bag is so over sized that you could climb inside.