Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help ID'ing a vintage style purse

[ Edited ]

Try train case type  or "fishing creel" type.  OR "purses from the 1950s.  Found several.  Remember the clear plastic one?

Honored Contributor

Yes I remember because I had one in Pink and it was purchased from a local Department Store (Walker Scott I think)... loved it.  Looked and operated just like a small train case but was marketed as a purse.  Same kind of latch on the front and same kind of plastic-type padded handle. Mine was made of a leatherette type material in pink and had silver tone hardware on the corners and around the edges as well as the handle anchors.  

I think your descriptive words are good, can't think of additional ones, the only thing to add is that I would describe it in both "travel" categories as well as "purse/handbag" because today it can be used for so many other things.... but yes, in the 60's it was definitely a trend and could be purchased most anywhere.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

BTW, this style came around 1963, part of a "Mod" look when the Beatles came on the scene.  With go-go type boots and the little English beret, it was part and parcel with all that.  But it wasn't from the 50's .... early 60's.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I know exactly what you're talking about. My friends and I all had them way back when. It must have been right around the late 1950s or early 1960s. Ours were of a material like lucite.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

OMG...thank you ALL for the cool responses!!  Love the pics posted, too!  And thank you for the suggestions as to what to search for.

Q4U  -  I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head with the description of yours!  Mine was also a leatherette type of material, with the padded handle.  It was NOT a high-end case  -  just bought at a department store.    We were a farm family of modest means, and I never had anything that was trendy or "in style" at the time except for this little purse which I loved!

It had to be around 1961-62-63 as I was in high school.  I graduated in 1965 and think by that time, the whole train case "craze" was over and I was using mine to hold junk.

I'm off to do some more searching...thanks again EVERYONE for the help and most inreresting posts!!

Trusted Contributor

Love these  -  but mine was much smaller!

Trusted Contributor

Fascinating...never heard of this!  Mine was purchased already assembled, but what a cool idea!

Trusted Contributor

OH!!  I love this!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 I used your description of lucite to further define.

@madzonie something like one of these?

IMG_1597.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Close...but a bit too big!  Thanks!