Honored Contributor

Re: Have Things Changed for You?

No, the virus had nothing to do with my taste in bags.  Several things changed my likings.  For one thing, I have shoulder and back issues, so I don't like if a bag is heavy to begin with.  And I need a bag that has soft handles, not hard or chain ones that dig into you.  I like a medium sized one and some kind of material is better as it is usually lighter.  A couple pockets but not a lot, because if there are a lot, then I find I'm wasting time searching in all the pockets and compartments for things I need.  I prefer having some kind of small pocket on the outside for my keys as well.  I got over the designer handbag thing a few years ago.  I like a bag to be attractive for sure, but the functionality of the bag is the most important.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Nothing has changed. I'm carrying the same type of handbag I've always used. I prefer a crossbody, not too large, but just enough to carry my everyday items. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Nothing has changed for me.  I still carry the variety of handbags I have and still carry the samethings.  The only thing changed is how many masks I have in my bag.

Valued Contributor

I use a nice cloth small tote bag for going to the doctor or places l will be awhile , like enough space for sanitizer, lpad etc.  But to run to the grocery or shopping , I get my phone and keys in my pockets . My phone case has a spot for driving license and credit cards .   I saw a hint where a lady carried an empty purse and old no use keys to give a thief if one approached her in the parking lot !  Sounds like a good idea . Put real stuff in your pocket .  So sad that it's come to this !

Esteemed Contributor

Not really.  I have been a crossbody bag girl for many years now.  I just love to be hands free and it prevents me from ever putting my bag down and walking away.  I only did that once and I almost had heart faliure.   I keep extra masks, gloves and wipes in the console of my car so they are always available.   

Honored Contributor

I realized months ago that I dd not need to carry a purse to the few places I go and I must say it is great being hands free.  At one point I was just carrying a wristlet.  Then I found the Lori Granier crossbody that was marked down to 9.99 so I used that for awhile now I am carrying lug but I may go back to the crossbody, a lot easier.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My requirements, and tastes in handbags changed as soon as I retired 9 years ago.   I rarely leave my home, and when I do, I'm only gone 2-3 hours at most.  

I have let go of 80% of the larger, leather handbags I owned before retirement.   I kept 4 Vera Bradley, 3 small Brahmin bags, a Michael Kors bag, a small Coach bag, and a D&B bag that was a gift.   Most of the time I grab a wristlet or the small Coach bag.  

If I need to carry a lot more stuff, I use a zippered top LL Bean canvas bag.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My requirements, and tastes in handbags changed as soon as I retired 9 years ago.   I rarely leave my home, and when I do, I'm only gone 2-3 hours at most.  

I have let go of 80% of the larger, leather handbags I owned before retirement.   I kept 4 Vera Bradley, 3 small Brahmin bags, a Michael Kors bag, a small Coach bag, and a D&B bag that was a gift.   Most of the time I grab a wristlet or the small Coach bag.  

If I need to carry a lot more stuff, I use a zippered top LL Bean canvas bag.

I too have been donating several bags. I don't have any big bags but some smaller bags are heavier and not as useful as others. Every time I clean out my closet I go through and donate some more. I'm only keeping the functional ones.

Honored Contributor

No changes here, other than putting a couple of masks in my purse when I go out. I'm still using the same small crossbody bags I started carrying when I retired in 2017. I stopped using large heavy shoulder bags when I stopped working. I carry much less with me now. 

Honored Contributor

No.  I am in a medium sized city.  I have, however, always locked things.