Honored Contributor

Happier buying non leather handbags

While I do still have a few very nice leather handbags I am finding that more and more I am happier buying non leather. Leather has become so expensive, and often is not of good quality. I also find the very soft leather bags are a pain in the neck to use as they just collapse when set down. I  find leather bags to be too heavy for me. And , here in Florida, we get caught in summer rainstorms so often, which can be a disaster on a leather bag if you can't dry it right away. With non leather they are inexpensive and lightweight, they usually only last about one or two seasons , but for me, that is enough as I am pretty much tired of a purse by then anyway. I can own a nice variety of purses if I don't pay too much for them. Don't have to worry if they get dirty - just wipe them off, or if they get wet. Of course, everyone should get what they like but I  would say that for me I am much more content with my decision not to buy any more pricey handbags, and just carry my Bella Taylor cloth bags , some vinyl bags and locally sold straw bags - a staple here in Fl.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Happier buying non leather handbags

Nothing wrong with that at all. While I prefer my leather oryany bags, I also really like my Vera Bradley cloth bags. You make present a great rationale for non-leather handbags. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am especially happy to see the new line of Tig 2 bags. All vinyl for about $40 at Bealls outlet with the design and the organization of my favorite Tig bags. Very pretty, really looks and feels like very soft pretty leather. I believe they also have them at Kohls.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought my first non-leather bag a few years ago and it quickly became my favorite bag for all the reasons you mentioned - lighter, no problems with rain, etc.   It didn't last as long as leather but it also didn't cost as much.  I'll have to look for the Tig bags you mentioned.  I have some of their leather bags and love the organization.   

Honored Contributor

As long as you love it and love wearing it, that is all that matters. : )

My favorite summer handbag is a straw and white patent bag with silver hardware and there is no leather to be found on it.

Trusted Contributor

I just purchased a Tignanello bag from the Coast to Coast catagory and I love it.  Found it through searching the internet.  Also am liking the Smooth Operator line from Tig as well. 

Honored Contributor

Within my personal price range, I like leather, cloth, nylon, straw with size and weight being extremely important, much more so than trendy fashion.

Respected Contributor

Love VKooba bags.  They look like the real thing and wear like iron.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a non-leather bag about 10 years ago.  The strap started fraying within about three months.  More recently, I bought a pair of shoes that were described on-line as leather.  Within a couple of days, they ripped and I had to return them.  I checked the label on the shoe and found they were pleather.  For this reason, I won't buy non-leather bags or shoes.  It is not cost-effective.  I really loved both of these items, but they just couldn't take everyday wear and tear.

Is there any way to find non-leather material that's durable?  These weren't cheap items, but they weren't super expensive either.

Honored Contributor

It is my experience that 2 people can buy the exact same item on the exact same day and 3 months later one of them will own a piece of junk and the other will still own a beautiful item. Everyone is different. When I worked we had to throw our purses into a huge drawer, everyones together and they were then locked in. OMG - those drawers ruined many a bag because people would just stuff their bags on top of other people's squishing them - or stuff would leak out of someone else's purse onto mine - many different reasons. My point being that no 2 people are alike and some people are just more careful with their belongings.