Esteemed Contributor

I’ve been cleaning out my closet and have lots of purses I no longer want. They are mostly Brahmin, Brighton, Frye and Coach. Is it better to take them to a consignment shop or just donate them and take it off my taxes. I don’t want to sell on EBay. To much hassle and just don’t want to be bothered. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Handbags no longer wanted

i would donate them to a women's shelter...

Super Contributor

There's also Poshmark and Mercari. Mercari will authenticate the purses for a small fee. If you don't want to bother with the internet selling at all, I would take them to a consignment shop. Read the fine print. I remember a court case where the shop owns the items after so long if they don't sell. I would never agree to that. Best wishes. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take them to a consignment shop or sell them, and take the tax-free money.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My  experience  is donate them  for the Tax deduction  option  if you have enough deductions for it to be woth itemizing  as consignment  stores extract the bigger portion of the sale leaving you with a miniscule amt. or if it is not sold they make you come and retrieive the items  or charge you a fee.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I think you'd do better consigning them to a reputable shop. A percentage of what you paid is better than nothing. The tax deduction is likely to be negligible, but if you have a cause about which you feel strongly, for me it's animal charities, then donate them to an appropriate organization's thrift shop. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

If it was me, I would either gift them to someone who would appreciate them or donate them.  I personally don't have the energy to re-sell.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

I took about 25 Dooney & Bourke bags to a supposedly upscale consignment shop and they wanted to give me $300 for all 25 of them together!

These bags were like new, some were new bags with tags, receipts from purchase, authentications and the registration cards to register them with Dooney for warranty.

Now, most of these were their higher end bags (a lot of Florentine, etc.) from when I worked in the Corporate world.

I laughed, as I started packing them back into the plastic storage container I brought them there in.

I'll never try consignment shops again, as some others I tried also wanted you to practically give them away.

I decided to share them for free with friends/family who wanted them and they appreciated them.

I'm not into the haggling, etc, to sell them online. Some I also donated to my animal rescue group for their annual auction to raise money for the rescue group and animals.

Next August, I'll donate more for the rescue!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty Donate them to a women's shelter.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Exactly!  I'm a D&B fan and the re-sell value is terrible, even if they look brand-new & unused!  I gave one of mine to a co-workers teenage daughter & the excitement on her face was PRICELESS!  It felt good to know I could make her day!  That was worth more than any re-sell money!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.