Respected Contributor

Re: Handbags no longer wanted

I usually donate mine to a local Hospice Thrift Shop. Doubt they get much money from them, unless whoever prices them, knows name brands, but whatever they get does support a good cause.
Regular Contributor

In the past, I have had very good luck in selling my used handbags over on Ebay. Lately I have switched gears and plan to list several on the local online marketplace sites. If these few don't sell, I will donate them. I purge my closet 2-3 x a year just to purge those closet items that I no longer use or like or fit into. My favorite/most used handbags don't have to worry about being listed on marketplace as I use the ones I have and love them all.

Trusted Contributor

Consignment for sure.  If they do not sell you can donate.

Regular Contributor

Sadly, the IRS no longer allows people to deduct the value of donated items off their taxes. You can deduct the value of donated cash and stocks.
Honored Contributor

This thread was started back in December, one can be pretty sure, largely because she came back to say so, that the OP has already decided what to do with her bags...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

For some charities, if the handbags are definitely authentic, you can donate for auctions- 

Respected Contributor

Donate them.  Take them to Goodwill.  

Honored Contributor

An animal rescue group with whom I work had an auction to raise funds.  I donated 10 or 11 Dooney, Brahmin, bags for it.  

They sold well, the treasurer wrote me a nice letter on their 501-c3 

letterhead for the dollar amount they raised - 1/3 of my original cost.  Higher then I would have gotten at consignment.

These bags had no wear, scratches, or funny smells,  😏  I did buff them up with leather polish. 

They do this @ every other year, saving up my bags for it.

DONATE

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras