Honored Contributor

Re: Handbags and Dust Covers?

I keep my bags in their original dust covers. I don't have that many bags so I pretty much know which cover is which bag. Also, most of my covers have the brand name on them so if I'm not sure when I remove it from the top shelf of my closet, I will know when I see the name on the cover. I like to have the dust covers when I resell my bags too. 

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I was just wondering how many of you ladies keep your handbags in the dust covers when not in use.  Is it necessary to protect the bag?  Is there any way to store handbags, still protect them and be able to see at a glance what is in the bag?    I've seen some creative ideas on Pinterest but none appealed to me.

It is so frustrating for me to change handbags.  I want to open the closet and see what I want in a glance.  I don't want to open four or five dust covers until I find the right bag. 

@KentuckyWoman. I have too many different bags to use the dust covers that accompanied them. I keep each one stuffed w/ newspaper (keeps out any moisture and/or odors from hand lotion, etc.). The newspaper keeps the shape of the bag, too.

I have a large, long, clear  plastic covered bin that fits on a shelf in my closet.

I can see which bag I'm looking for and they're always clean...ready for me to switch out.

Respected Contributor

I keep all of my handbags in dust covers.  I line them up by size.  You are correct I cannot see which one is which, but I can guess by the size.  But all I have to do is reach for one and I know immediately which one I have.  The dust covers protect the handbags from dust.

Respected Contributor

I just bought some of the hangtags someone mentioned and plan to attach them to my dustcovers.  I know what most of them are but there are always a few I have to open up!  

Honored Contributor

@Roni18 wrote:

I just bought some of the hangtags someone mentioned and plan to attach them to my dustcovers.  I know what most of them are but there are always a few I have to open up!  

@Roni18 Hi! I'm the hangtag attacher! Very helpful to just be able to look at the tag and find the bag you want. Good luck with your labeling project, EEL Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

This may be an old thread but it's a good topic. I do keep my handbags in dust bags if they came with one or I'll use a pillow case. I think this is important when a handbag is light colored or if it's suede or if there is any chance of color transfer between bags.

Esteemed Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

I do keep my handbags in their dust covers to protect them from dust and scratches as I go in and out of the closets.

I, too, was always peeking inside to find bags and recently labeled the dust covered bags with the name of the handbag on white marking labels, which we use for the annual yard sale. You can tie one of these labels around one of the dust cover pull strings and then it hangs in front so you can easily find the bag you need.

Avery(R) White Marking Tags 6732, Strung, 1-3/4" x 1-3/32", Pack of 100

I usually use the dust cover that comes with the bag. For white and bone handbags I use a new, clean, white king-sized cotton pillowcase, tied in a knot at the top OR you can find white cotton zippered pillow covers at Bed Bath & Beyond. I don't use dark-colored dust bags on light-colored bags just to be safe.

THat is the same thing I do with my bags except I use larger heavy duty beige marking tags.  The dust covers shown here in some postings are plastic.  You should not be storing fine leather bags inside plastic.

Honored Contributor

Yup, All my bags are in their dust covers with a photo of that bag on each. I have quite a few bags so this way is quite easy for me to just glance up to pick what purse I want. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"