Esteemed Contributor

I've seen articles that say certain styles of handbags can make a woman look older. For example, a too small handbag ages someone, but other times  they say large quilted totes tend to age a person. Has anyone heard of this? I have no idea why I read these articles, as I think many of them are ridiculous. 

I always thought that the handbag should go with a person's comfort level and lifestyle. I could maybe see a certain type of fashion not right for someone, but a handbag? I wonder what type of person writes these things. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Well, I suppose if we all started carrying reticules, they might tend to date us...

Woman Very Happy

Terminology: What is a reticule or indispensable? - The Dreamstress

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I've seen articles like this about clothing but I've never articles about handbags making you look older.  Frankly I think it's silly.

I tend to wear very casual clothing, sometimes maybe clothing a bit young for my age.  A bit, I'm not wearing daisy dukes.  When I shop for purses (or shoes), to see what's new and hip, I see a enormous variety of styles.  Nothing seems  "out of style"  Then I realize I have very similar purses in my closet that I like even better, so why buy a new one i'm not even crazy about

I say wear what makes you feel good and ignore silly advice like this.

Respected Contributor

I don't think a handbag ages anyone. Its about what the woman wants to carry, season and outfit appropriate 100 %

Respected Contributor

Probably someone young writes those blogs. That said, my experience is that 99.9% of the women I see carrying "quilted totes" and Vera Bradley style bags, appear to be over fifty. I don't care for that look, personally. And I've ditched the heavy leather purses in favor of Lug brand. I don't care what a millennial fashion stylist says. Or any fashion expert for that matter. I wear what I like, carry the purses I like. By the way I'm old. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

How ridiculous!  I wear what I like and pay no attention to so called "influencers"  fashion bloggers  and the like.  I have been dressing myself for a long time and will continue to do so.  I love handbags and have all styles that I rotate. 

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I've seen articles that say certain styles of handbags can make a woman look older. For example, a too small handbag ages someone, but other times  they say large quilted totes tend to age a person. Has anyone heard of this? I have no idea why I read these articles, as I think many of them are ridiculous. 

I always thought that the handbag should go with a person's comfort level and lifestyle. I could maybe see a certain type of fashion not right for someone, but a handbag? I wonder what type of person writes these things. 

@teganslaw Better yet, let's ask ourselves "What kind of person listens to these things?"

As if that's something to worry about. . . really! Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor
I don’t know about aging, but some bags make women look “dorky.”
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:
I don’t know about aging, but some bags make women look “dorky.”

yeah, I have some like that😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Handbags and Aging

[ Edited ]

I buy what works for me.I don't work, I don't get dressed up. I only wear shorts/pants a tee and sneakers. If I had to dress up I would need some serious help. I tend to only carry small bags because I don't carry much, a phone, keys, sunglasses a card wallet, aspirin and tissue. I don't need a luggage size tote for that. I buy what I'm comfortable with not what some blogger thinks I need. She's probably  a 20 something who doesn't have a clue other than what she is told or being paid to write.