Honored Contributor

Re: Handbags, Mystery Trips and so on... 3Q-2015

The fast is broken !!  Well, maybe...  I came across a really interesting, very structured satchel at Marshall's.  An Italian brand, the name of which is not precisely on the tip of my tongue.  Anyway, colorblocked smooth leather in shades of cadet blue, taupe, with black and maroon accents, VERY stylish and a nice size.  So I laid it away.  I'm not convinced I'll get it out of layaway, but it was stunning enough that I didn't want to risk it being sold until I have time to really think about this one...  It's a beautiful bag, but somewhat 'dressy' so I'm firmly on the fence about this one, but boy is it a looker!!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@tough_kitty wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

LOL, Serendipity about the orYANY now being available! We're giving it buzz, so they probably thought "unleash that handbag!" Woman LOL

I like that bag too. I watched the video for the larger version and I actually just learned about the side pockets and the dog leash closure. Unfortunately, I'm broke....besides I really don't think that having a medium bag which is only 2 inches deep is practical..... and I liked the colors in the bigger version better..... I could be tempted by the grey one....but I already have a grey bag in Logo Lock by DB..... 

If I can hold fast and not buy and receive any handbags for over a week now, you, being much stronger than I am, can resist this one, TK!! Woman Very Happy

Now EEL, let's go for another week and this time, the Headmistress would like to see you not even place any orders...  You can do it!!

Honored Contributor

About Michael Kors...  anybody else fully tired of seeing his bags coming and going?  To be sure, he's made some really pretty bags and has some gorgeous bags currently on offer and in the pipeline for winter, but lately (and actually for some time) I'm just awed, and not in a good way, with how many of them I see...  Out and about shopping, it seemed like every third woman was carrying some version of a Kors logo bag. I think I have four Kors bags and I'm packing them all away except one, a bordeaux leather satchel I bought last winter and never used.  I'll use it come fall.  The others might see the light of day sometime down the road when they don't remind me of the pitfalls of a brand that has become so overexposed as to be sort of humdrum and not all that special.

Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

About Michael Kors...  anybody else fully tired of seeing his bags coming and going?  To be sure, he's made some really pretty bags and has some gorgeous bags currently on offer and in the pipeline for winter, but lately (and actually for some time) I'm just awed, and not in a good way, with how many of them I see...  Out and about shopping, it seemed like every third woman was carrying some version of a Kors logo bag. I think I have four Kors bags and I'm packing them all away except one, a bordeaux leather satchel I bought last winter and never used.  I'll use it come fall.  The others might see the light of day sometime down the road when they don't remind me of the pitfalls of a brand that has become so overexposed as to be sort of humdrum and not all that special.

That's exactly how I feel about LV bags as well! I saw at least 5 ladies at the airport carrying them. I don't like the look at all. As for MK, I bought 2 of his bags because I liked the price and the functionality. Not getting rid of them simply because everyone carries the same brand....

Honored Contributor

@tough_kitty wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

That's exactly how I feel about LV bags as well! I saw at least 5 ladies at the airport carrying them. I don't like the look at all. As for MK, I bought 2 of his bags because I liked the price and the functionality. Not getting rid of them simply because everyone carries the same brand....

Different strokes, I guess TK...  I still like LV and while I see a lot of them, and they stand out because they tend to have a distincitve look, I don't see nearly as many of them as I do MK logo bags...  No, I'd not get rid of mine either, but I'm packing away the logo bags until such time as maybe I don't see quite so many of them...  There for a while, it was all about Coach logo bags and I'm only glad I only bought one of them, which I no longer use at all...

Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

Yep, just saw Coach everywhere. Exactly why I never bought one... Well, I bought one but it was all leather and the style I found online which no one had.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@tough_kitty wrote:

About MJ....well, maybe it's not the same, but I am not sure I want to carry a bag designed by someone who is so immature....

Incidentally, I just discovered he was designing bags for LV....wait, what?? Those names on bags don't really matter.... the quality and the right price do.... at least to me.

Over the years, just like the top fashion houses, the bag 'houses' bring in name designers to do a line every now and then.  I believe Sofia Coppola also did a line for LV...

Yes, Sofia Coppola designed a beautiful satchel style handbag called the SC.  It's still available in several sizes.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tough_kitty wrote:

About MJ....well, maybe it's not the same, but I am not sure I want to carry a bag designed by someone who is so immature....

Incidentally, I just discovered he was designing bags for LV....wait, what?? Those names on bags don't really matter.... the quality and the right price do.... at least to me.

Just as a FYI, Marc Jacobs is no longer the artistic designer of women's creations at LV; in late 2013 he was replaced by Nicholas Ghesquiere (former head of Balenciaga).

One of the items MJ created for LV was the Monogram Map bandeau.  It came in an array of colors; although most colors were discontinued, a few are still available.  Below is a photo of my LV Westminster GM adorned with a Monogram Map bandeau in Prune Petrole:

20150507_200108-1-1.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tough_kitty wrote:
Yep, just saw Coach everywhere. Exactly why I never bought one... Well, I bought one but it was all leather and the style I found online which no one had.

Coach has always made nice leather bags.  Although some in recent years have been a bit more pedestrian, some of them are still fantastic bags.  I have to admit though, with just a very few exceptions and those are more for the Coach Classics, I'm just not a big fan of Coach.  Back in the day, it was my first choice, but those Classics are getting harder to find, although I believe they still offer a limited line of their classic bags, something DB really needs to do.

Honored Contributor

@MissRose722 wrote:

@tough_kitty wrote:

Just as a FYI, Marc Jacobs is no longer the artistic designer of women's creations at LV; in late 2013 he was replaced by Nicholas Ghesquiere (former head of Balenciaga).

One of the items MJ created for LV was the Monogram Map bandeau.  It came in an array of colors; although most colors were discontinued, a few are still available.  Below is a photo of my LV Westminster GM adorned with a Monogram Map bandeau in Prune Petrole:

Bags or fashion, it's always been interseting to me that the big 'houses' hire an established desginer who then proceeds, at least theoretically, to design his or her own line as well as a line for the 'house'...  It's very common practice, but still interesting.