Honored Contributor

Re: Handbag sales in decline

@Reever wrote:

@wilma wrote:

Funny how things change. I remember when the handbag craze took off in the 1990s. There were lots of brands on the Q and in department stores selling leather handbags for hundreds of dollars. I was never a big handbag person. I only have 6 handbags. I haven’t bought a new handbag in over a year. 

Why on Earth do you need 6 handbags ?!?!?   

No one "needs" 6 handbags just as no one needs to collect anything they love, including men and their tools or golf equipment, electronic equipment, jewelry, watches, etc. etc.   It's a love and appreciation of something to the point of collecting it.  At least that's how I feel about my handbags, and I especially love well-made bags because I know that even if I use them, they will hold up and still look beautiful after a lot of usage. 

I also collect antiques and was a Dealer for years.  I am especially fond of furniture and collected (and still own) quite a few pieces.  Every time I walk past them I catch myself thinking, "Gosh, I'm glad I found and bought that"..... I still think that to this day.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

Handbag sales are in decline as women including teens are buying a lot less of them. The It bag is no longer a popular item as a status symbol, having been replaced by high end sneakers and luxury outerwear.

An article from the Quartz website:

https://qz.com/1726347/handbag-sales-are-plunging-as-womens-backpack-sales-climb/

The handbag is losing its once-exalted place in a woman’s wardrobe

I kind of believe this.  I have seen many girls using the back of thier cell phone case to carry license and cards etc... then the phone goes in their back pocket.  It does feel nice not to carry a purse once in a  while

Esteemed Contributor

I have a lot of Soprano leather handbags and I'm happy with what I have. I rarely buy myself any handbags anymore. Lately I bought a small nylon crossbody bag and a small clear plastic crossbody bag just in case I go to a concert or a sports event that requires that you can't carry a large bag or that requires you to carry a clear see through bag if you carry a purse.

I did buy my daughter a nice forest green leather Fossil crossbody bag at Dillard's in Las Vegas that I'm going to give her for Christmas. The bag was on sale and there was a good selection at Dillard's. The selection of Fossil bags at Hudson's Bay department store in Canada is mediocre so I'm glad i bought the bag in the U.S.

Honored Contributor

I have a fairly large collection of good bags, but I'm 71. I started purchasing some in college. My LV bags have held up well and one was purchased 47 yrs. ago and used as a diaper bag for both babies. My D&B bags have lasted a long time and look none the worse for wear, too. I've found many D&Bs at TJ Maxx. Great finds.

I purchase good, expensive leather bags when I know they'll be used often. My smaller crossbody and nylon, lightweight bags for travel are not as expensive. I do see wear on these less expensive bags. 

Respected Contributor

@sunshine 919 I, thankfully, haven't seen women stuffing a phone case/wallet in their pockets, like guys do, and that sure wouldn't fly with a dress or skirt.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@wilma wrote:

Funny how things change. I remember when the handbag craze took off in the 1990s. There were lots of brands on the Q and in department stores selling leather handbags for hundreds of dollars. I was never a big handbag person. I only have 6 handbags. I haven’t bought a new handbag in over a year. 

@Reever Why on Earth do you care why someone has XX amount of bags? I have so many bags they are stored in totes in my basement. How many bags someone has and how much they spend on them has no bearing on you.... and no I don't need my head examined for purchasing bags, sneakers, etc that cost more than $100. I spend MY money the way I want, no need to explain to anyone.

Honored Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@Reever Why on Earth do you care why someone has XX amount of bags? I have so many bags they are stored in totes in my basement. How many bags someone has and how much they spend on them has no bearing on you.... and no I don't need my head examined for purchasing bags, sneakers, etc that cost more than $100. I spend MY money the way I want, no need to explain to anyone.

@DJs mom   Amen to that! 

Regular Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I will always love a good handbag, but honestly, I've bought so many over the years, that even after I've donated I have plenty. Now that I'm retired I just don't need many bags, and most of them are too heavy , unless I can wear them crossbody. 

I've been looking for a new bag for months but the ones I like are all too heavy. I did buy the GILI crossbody with canvas strap, and it's heavier than I'd like but I might keep it anyway. 

Football is my favorite season.
Regular Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@TY wrote:

Handbag sales are in decline as women including teens are buying a lot less of them. The It bag is no longer a popular item as a status symbol, having been replaced by high end sneakers and luxury outerwear.

An article from the Quartz website:

https://qz.com/1726347/handbag-sales-are-plunging-as-womens-backpack-sales-climb/

The handbag is losing its once-exalted place in a woman’s wardrobe

Anyone who spends more than $100 on a handbag or sneakers needs to have their head examined.  Kohls has reasonably priced bags for 50 dollars and you can use a 30 percent off coupon.  I havent purchased shoes in years.  Refuse to get caught up in status symbols. Too old to care.

Guess I need to have my head examined...

Football is my favorite season.
Honored Contributor

@Hawkfan83 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I will always love a good handbag, but honestly, I've bought so many over the years, that even after I've donated I have plenty. Now that I'm retired I just don't need many bags, and most of them are too heavy , unless I can wear them crossbody. 

I've been looking for a new bag for months but the ones I like are all too heavy. I did buy the GILI crossbody with canvas strap, and it's heavier than I'd like but I might keep it anyway. 

@Hawkfan83   Yes, most good bags are leather and if you're a "big bag Girl", like me, they can be weighty. My LV bags are coated canvas w/ leather trim which are lighter. I won't be purchasing more at this stage in my life and w/ the way the prices have increased, it's unnecessary. For travel/sightseeing/all day shopping, I have large nylon hobos or totes.