Respected Contributor

Re: Handbag sales in decline

@Q4u 

I bet your little doll carrier bag was precious! Dolls were my thing when I was a child;  I loved them and the little accessories that went with them.  When the American Girl dolls came out, I wanted one even though I was an adult!  

Esteemed Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:
i have a dear friend who has been a designer handbag collector for years ... and she has some beauties. last week i complimented one of her lovelies, and she said that she was starting to downsize and would be happy to have me over to 'shop her stash' before she starts getting rid of them ... and i politely declined. i never was big on designer or high end handbags for myself. even so, i have downsized my own stash considerably. all i have now are a few kipling bags ... basically because they are so nice and lightweight and i love the organization they provide. i still have two leather coach bags for dress and one nice coach tote bag and a couple of wristlet type bags and that's it for me!

I love the Kipling bags. They are lightweight and do provide great organization. I always buy the matching wallet. They are great.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@wilma wrote:

Funny how things change. I remember when the handbag craze took off in the 1990s. There were lots of brands on the Q and in department stores selling leather handbags for hundreds of dollars. I was never a big handbag person. I only have 6 handbags. I haven’t bought a new handbag in over a year. 

Why on Earth do you need 6 handbags ?!?!?   

@ReeverIf you think 6 is alot, I won't even tell you how many  I have.  I have always loved handbags and still do.  I change them to what my outfit is.  

Valued Contributor

I too have love handbags and dolls,jewelry from childhood to an adult.Leather handbags is my preference. I have also collected artist dolls and now reborns now.Neither of those hobbies are cheap.I worked for over 40 years to enjoyed  what I like.My lovely home is paid for,so is my car.

I do not follow trends or what's popular. That's  being said,I am very particular.7 handbags Coach and Marc Jacob's all bought on sale.In my large home there are a total of 8 dolls 4 are reborn dolls

In other words you do not have to have a lot of stuff, to enjoy your passion.Jewelry,Dolls,Handbags are my passion.Sales are in decline because people have other issues or things to spend their money on.

As for me,when I buy a new handbag,I donated  or give to family or friends.

As for the dolls I sold and gave away a majority of that collection over time as my taste has change.With this hobby,you do have to be careful,because of this now popular hobby you have a lot of scammers who think they can buy  a kit and painted and that's all it takes.If you do not have the artistic ability to do it well in my opinion you should not it at all.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@wilma wrote:

Funny how things change. I remember when the handbag craze took off in the 1990s. There were lots of brands on the Q and in department stores selling leather handbags for hundreds of dollars. I was never a big handbag person. I only have 6 handbags. I haven’t bought a new handbag in over a year. 

@Reever 

I don’t think 6 is very many. I used to own more. I like to have a few different color bags for my outfits. I have black, red, navy, and camel. I also have a blush and a second black bag that are dressier. That makes 6. 

Honored Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@wilma wrote:

@ReeverIf you think 6 is alot, I won't even tell you how many  I have.  I have always loved handbags and still do.  I change them to what my outfit is.  

@Pecky 

Thanks for your response. I was a bit surprised to be criticized for having 6 handbags. Enjoy your handbags! 

Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately, I have so many handbags that I don't even know the exact amount! Money I did not spend wisely, but, it was my (however foolish) choice to make those handbag purchases and I would not expect to be questioned and/or criticized about it! Nobody needs to justify anything they choose to purchase, period!
Valued Contributor

I love status handbags and probably always will.  My mother loved them and I have been carrying an LV bag since my 20's. I probably spend less than a lot of people because they last a very long time and are classics.  Need my head checked? Really?  I don't answer to anyone nor judge a person on how they spend their money.  Here in the NYC/ NJ area it seems like many, many women carry status bags.  As for a Birkin, I wouldn't mind having one and it certainly wouldn't be to validate myself.  And to be honest, the majority of people wouldn't know a genuine Birkin if they fell over one so I doubt I'd be impressing them.  If I ever purchased one, it would be because I think it's such a beautiful bag.  

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@TY wrote:

Handbag sales are in decline as women including teens are buying a lot less of them. The It bag is no longer a popular item as a status symbol, having been replaced by high end sneakers and luxury outerwear.

An article from the Quartz website:

https://qz.com/1726347/handbag-sales-are-plunging-as-womens-backpack-sales-climb/

The handbag is losing its once-exalted place in a woman’s wardrobe

Anyone who spends more than $100 on a handbag or sneakers needs to have their head examined.  Kohls has reasonably priced bags for 50 dollars and you can use a 30 percent off coupon.  I havent purchased shoes in years.  Refuse to get caught up in status symbols. Too old to care.

I think the most I ever spent on a handbag was maybe $60.  I don't get a handbag every season or even twice a year, although for awhile when I was doing a ladies trip to Atlanta Market twice a year I would get a $20 one each trip.  I have donated a few of these and still have a couple although they're getting worn on the edges.  I hate it becasue the bags themselves are still good and I always got compliments on my $20 bags.  I recently picked up one at Kohls and had a coupon + Kohls Cash and ended up paying $2.88 for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@TY wrote:

Handbag sales are in decline as women including teens are buying a lot less of them. The It bag is no longer a popular item as a status symbol, having been replaced by high end sneakers and luxury outerwear.

An article from the Quartz website:

https://qz.com/1726347/handbag-sales-are-plunging-as-womens-backpack-sales-climb/

The handbag is losing its once-exalted place in a woman’s wardrobe

Anyone who spends more than $100 on a handbag or sneakers needs to have their head examined.  Kohls has reasonably priced bags for 50 dollars and you can use a 30 percent off coupon.  I havent purchased shoes in years.  Refuse to get caught up in status symbols. Too old to care.

@Reever   I guess I'll go first in the head examining line. I wouldn't spend $100 on sneakers, but a great designer bag I'll have forever? ..Heck yeah!!!