Respected Contributor

Re: Handbag sales in decline

I have always had a fondness for handbags.  They don't have to be tried on and don't depend on me gaining or losing weight etc.  I have more than I need.  My needs have changed through the years.  I don't care if they are a certain brand but I am partial to real leather and now mostly carry crossbodies.  

Honored Contributor

I was always crazy for them, but now not so much.  I went through a phase where it had to be Coach and other what I consider to be more expensive brands.  When I purged clothing, etc. several months ago, I had hundreds of bags that I gave to family members and then donated the rest.  I kept probably around 50.  That's way too many even!  However, probably only around 25 are expensive ones.  I have carried the same bag now for about 6 months.  I used to carry one for about 1 week and then constantly switch.  I see so many people using backpacks instead of regular handbags any more.  Times are changing to much more casual wear in everything I think!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

We are definitely seeing a lot of changes retail-wise, as the next generations come up and set their own rules.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I no longer carry heavy leather bags and have sold most at my garage sale for 10. People got great deals on them as hardly used.I still have a couple to go from back when I bought big bags.lolLisa said the bigger the bag the smaller the hips and I bought into that,I now carry nylon bags and recently purchased one from amazon that has handles and a crossbody strap.There are many compartments and the bag is well made.30.00.

Respected Contributor

It doesn't surprise me.  Fashion must haves come and go over time.... brands, styles, categores, etc.  And when something is 'in',  it often becomes extreme.... in cost, or style, or as a must have.   It's all human nature,  plus advertising, and these days social media.   And let's not forget peer pressure or keeping up with your friends.

But,  I don't make value judgments for others.  Each of us gets to decide how to spend our money.  As long as it's done wisely,  covering our obligations, taking care of family, planning for the future, and not depending on someone else or society.... then we each get to choose how to spend our dollars.   For some it's handbags,  for some it's shoes.   Others take vacations, buy new cars, or coffee every day. The list of ways to spend money is long and we all have to balance our needs,  our wants, and our money.   We each have our own ideas about what is foolish and what is ok.

I don't envy anyone else's things.... well,  maybe with the exception of closet space...... but not the things they have stored inside or the trips they take or their shiny new car.

I'm happy to pass on vacations or drinks or new cars.... but I like my all leather Dooneys and my watch collection.

I wouldn't mind a Birkin or a Chanel handbag (if someone wants to give me a gift),  but you can keep your non leather logo handbags.  And for those who love them,  enjoy your treasures.  Things would be very dull if we all liked the same things.

Honored Contributor

Funny how things change. I remember when the handbag craze took off in the 1990s. There were lots of brands on the Q and in department stores selling leather handbags for hundreds of dollars. I was never a big handbag person. I only have 6 handbags. I haven’t bought a new handbag in over a year. 

Honored Contributor

I have always loved handbags.  I remember my Mom giving me one that was perfect for carrying my little doll, her little blanket and pillow (with a special case on the pillow).  It was black leather and structured so the top opened up like a box only hinged at one side.  It had a little mirror on the inside of the top and a matching leather handle.  I loved that handbag and remember getting into trouble bringing my doll to Chuirch and taking her out to look at her during Church.  But I believe that was the official start of loving handbags for me.

In Junior High my folks bought me two handbags for Christmas, one was a brown suede envelope style with a zipper on top and one handle.  The other was a small wood beaded bag in an oak color with a shoulder strap made in the same wooden beads.  Boy do I remember those bags!

I still love handbags (and shoes) but have more problems with my feet (and balance since I fell down the stairs in 2010) so shoes are practical now.... but my handbags.... I can carry whatever makes me happy.

I have never, ever regretted buying a handbag and have never, ever bought one because it was "in style" or the "trend"....  I just plain love handbags and truly love owning them and organizing them!  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@wilma wrote:

Funny how things change. I remember when the handbag craze took off in the 1990s. There were lots of brands on the Q and in department stores selling leather handbags for hundreds of dollars. I was never a big handbag person. I only have 6 handbags. I haven’t bought a new handbag in over a year. 

Why on Earth do you need 6 handbags ?!?!?   

Respected Contributor

I pay more than $100 dollars for my shoes because I wear mostly Birkenstocks and Ecco sandals. Well made sturdy shoes are important to me.
As for handbags, I have Dooneys that are 25 years old, and Coach bags that are 30 years old.

I refuse to tell someone how to spend their money. 
If some folks are willing to make some designer wealthy instead of getting out of debt and saving for their future, they will live with the consequences.

Esteemed Contributor

I sure wish I could understand why a person would tell me that I need to have my head examined because I would choose to spend over $100 on a handbag! I could care less what others buy and the amount of money they spend on their purchases. I'm my mother's daughter - I like beautiful bags just like she did, and I'm thankful to be able to buy what I want, when I want and if I want them. Generally I pass on them these days, but it's still my choice.

I agree that handbag sales are in decline for two possible reasons: 1) many of us in our retirement years (or approaching retirement) have enough leather handbags and totes that we've purchased over the years, and are now looking for lighter weight bags; and 2) many younger women are choosing backpacks instead of a handbag. My DIL is a young professional with 2 small boys and finds a backpack provides the roominess she needs and also keeps her hands-free to deal with the boys. Most of her peers are the same. And guess what - those backpacks are available at Walmart and Kohl's as well as Coach and Brahmin! I'll leave it up to DIL to buy what she wants and spend what she wants. And I definitely won't tell her that she needs her head examined if she spends over $100! LOL!