Honored Contributor

Re: Handbag sales in decline

[ Edited ]

I'm not procuring bags anywhere near the way I used to. It was a conscious choice for many reasons. I have too many, I've become more picky and I'm just not seeing styles that really appeal to me. Moreover, I'm not seeing bags that justify their pricing and too many brands are being sold at a level I simply don't think they're worth. Frankly, I wish I hadn't bought most of those I already have so why buy more just to end up having to try to find ways to unload them. On top of all else, it's a tremendous and somewhat pointless drain on financial resources better used for other things that are now higher priorities.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I am a handbag gal;always have been, always will be. There is just something about a nice satchel, hobo or bucket bag. Clutches get plenty of rotation in my wardrobe as well. No outfit is complete without one for me. I make an exception with athletic wear.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

From the article:

The day before, investment firm Piper Jaffray released its latest semi-annual survey of US teens, which found that teen spending on handbags had fallen to the lowest point in the survey’s 18-year-history. Female teens said they’re spending an average of $90 a year on handbags, down from a peak of $197 in spring 2006. Unless the trend changes, these shoppers won’t be buying up handbags the way their predecessors did when they reach adulthood either.

It's been a very long time since I was a teen, but even back then, no-one my age cared about bags. It's impossible to tell what priorities and purchasing habits in fashion will be in 10 years. 

As for spending $100 on a bag, to me that's hardly anything to spend on a bag. I buy what I like looking at. I only regret bags that, after having carried them a few times, I realize don't work for me -- too big, too small, awkward access, etc.  And, I do have quite a few that don't work for me. I don't buy $1000, $2000, $3000 bags, but I see nothing wrong with others buying them. If I had that kind of money to drop on bags, I've seen some that I'd love to have. Those aren't status. They're just beautiful. 

$300,000 for a Birkin is a status thing, and, in my view, sad that someone needs a $300,000 bag to feel validated. 

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb, I agree with everything you posted! Went way overboard on expensive handbag purchases and now I don't use them, they are taking up space and I spent money I could not afford to spend! Have recently switched over to Lug crossbodies and I am very happy with them! Not expensive, lightweight and hands-free! My fault, it's on me!!!!😣
Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@TY   Talk about high end sneaker....did you see the Nike Jesus sneakers with the water sole and the cross on the tongue (sorry, no intention to offend anyone).  They were sold in minutes this morning when they were released on the market for $1400.  Now they are being sold for $4000 according to the news.

And, it was a joke. 

"Greenberg says the shoes were designed as a response to ridiculous brand collaborations, such as Arizona Iced Tea and Adidas. 

"We set out to take that to the next level," Greenberg said. 'We asked ourselves, 'What would a shoe collab with Jesus look like?' Obviously, it should let you walk on water. 'Well, how can we do that?' You pump holy water into the pocket of a pair of Air Max 97's and with that, you get Jesus Shoes — the holiest collab ever.'"

😃

Esteemed Contributor

Well said!!!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@ILTH wrote:

From the article:

The day before, investment firm Piper Jaffray released its latest semi-annual survey of US teens, which found that teen spending on handbags had fallen to the lowest point in the survey’s 18-year-history. Female teens said they’re spending an average of $90 a year on handbags, down from a peak of $197 in spring 2006. Unless the trend changes, these shoppers won’t be buying up handbags the way their predecessors did when they reach adulthood either.

It's been a very long time since I was a teen, but even back then, no-one my age cared about bags. It's impossible to tell what priorities and purchasing habits in fashion will be in 10 years. 

As for spending $100 on a bag, to me that's hardly anything to spend on a bag. I buy what I like looking at. I only regret bags that, after having carried them a few times, I realize don't work for me -- too big, too small, awkward access, etc.  And, I do have quite a few that don't work for me. I don't buy $1000, $2000, $3000 bags, but I see nothing wrong with others buying them. If I had that kind of money to drop on bags, I've seen some that I'd love to have. Those aren't status. They're just beautiful. 

$300,000 for a Birkin is a status thing, and, in my view, sad that someone needs a $300,000 bag to feel validated. 

Honored Contributor

So will women and girls be carrying all their possessions in a plastic Walmart bag? (the unofficial American universal luggage)

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

this does not surprise me one bit.

like every other product category, things are hot for a while, then cool off, then picks back up or goes out of business. remember when many people would not be caught dead, wearing jewelry that wasn't real gold or real diamonds?

i also think many people were/are buying high end bags, just to be seen with one.

in many major cities, too many women walking had their bags stolen.
it only takes having one $1,200 bag stolen, to know, not to do that again.

and lets not forget the most important component of this.
and that is the bulk of people buying bags in the last 20 years are now 50+ and have enough bags and are trying to save for retirement.

while i didn't read the entire article, i suspect that it left out that women that make $150K+ or are married to someone that does, are still buying bags.

the 20-30 year olds don't appear to be into bags, unless they live their lives via celebrities and many of the bags that celebrities have can't be purchased in this country. or there is a 2 to 3 year waiting list to get many of them. other bags are by invitation only. same with some watches.

the same goes for high end shoes. people have spent their mortgage or rent money to own a pair of christian louboutin red bottoms or a pair of jimmy choo's. i'm not sure where most people wear them to on a regular basis.

i have enough louie v, chanel, gucci bags, etc to last me the rest of my life. i'd rather only have 2 good bags, that will last 10 years without going out of style, then to have to buy new ones every year. i don't have that much free time to be looking to buy the same thing, every year.

at least 2 of my louies are at least 25 years old and they still look new and are still in style. no sagging, nothing broken or looks worn. i think i got my money's worth. <smile>

i think it's fine to buy expensive things, as long as you aren't neglecting some other aspect of life, that is more important. but, sadly, as always, there will always be haters and people that think it's a waste of money to spend more than $100 for a bag. as my grandmother  would say, "just let them be".

Respected Contributor

i have a dear friend who has been a designer handbag collector for years ... and she has some beauties. last week i complimented one of her lovelies, and she said that she was starting to downsize and would be happy to have me over to 'shop her stash' before she starts getting rid of them ... and i politely declined. i never was big on designer or high end handbags for myself. even so, i have downsized my own stash considerably. all i have now are a few kipling bags ... basically because they are so nice and lightweight and i love the organization they provide. i still have two leather coach bags for dress and one nice coach tote bag and a couple of wristlet type bags and that's it for me!
Honored Contributor

Nope, I'm still buying my Kate Spade bags. Everything I own is Kate Spade. Love her timeless styles. I haven't slowed down one bit but I do look for sales. Heart

"Pure Michigan"