Esteemed Contributor

Handbag sales are in decline as women including teens are buying a lot less of them. The It bag is no longer a popular item as a status symbol, having been replaced by high end sneakers and luxury outerwear.

An article from the Quartz website:

https://qz.com/1726347/handbag-sales-are-plunging-as-womens-backpack-sales-climb/

The handbag is losing its once-exalted place in a woman’s wardrobe

Honored Contributor

Re: Handbag sales in decline

I never had the need for "status" handbags, sneakers or outerwear.

Esteemed Contributor

As queendiva goes, so goes the world.

My handbag buying has slowed considerably. have not purchased a bag in more than 6 months- a long stretch for me.

Love and use the bags I have. Right now, no need or desire for another.

In addition, I don't feel the desire to change bags as often as I used to. An increasingly casual wardrobe is behind the decline in handbag sales, IMO.

Honored Contributor

I don’t have a status bag..just carry a lightweight bag but I always wanted a Louis vitton...guess that is never going to happen.

Honored Contributor

I will always love a good handbag, but honestly, I've bought so many over the years, that even after I've donated I have plenty. Now that I'm retired I just don't need many bags, and most of them are too heavy , unless I can wear them crossbody. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY   Talk about high end sneaker....did you see the Nike Jesus sneakers with the water sole and the cross on the tongue (sorry, no intention to offend anyone).  They were sold in minutes this morning when they were released on the market for $1400.  Now they are being sold for $4000 according to the news.

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

Handbag sales are in decline as women including teens are buying a lot less of them. The It bag is no longer a popular item as a status symbol, having been replaced by high end sneakers and luxury outerwear.

An article from the Quartz website:

https://qz.com/1726347/handbag-sales-are-plunging-as-womens-backpack-sales-climb/

The handbag is losing its once-exalted place in a woman’s wardrobe

Anyone who spends more than $100 on a handbag or sneakers needs to have their head examined.  Kohls has reasonably priced bags for 50 dollars and you can use a 30 percent off coupon.  I havent purchased shoes in years.  Refuse to get caught up in status symbols. Too old to care.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When did the status handbags become important? Until about 20 years ago, I always had a no name brand bag; they were inexpensive and wore out quickly.  I thought Dooney bags were top notch, until I shopped in NYC!  The stores like Bloomingdales don't sell them on the main floor with the high priced designer bags, they may be in the basement. 

Honored Contributor

A fool and his money are soon parted and that is what I feel about anyone who would pay such a price for either a handbag or a pair of shoes.  It's someone who has to brag that they have money.  The real money people don't have to brag about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

No I didn't see that but I do regularly read the Footwear News website and they always are showing high end sneakers. When my husband and I were in Las Vegas this past week we window shopped the store displays and a lot of the luxury brands like Balenciaga were showcasing their designer sneakers.

Even the athletic shoe stores would shoecase their high end sneakers, especially their colorful basketball sneaker in the window displays!