Esteemed Contributor

Re: Handbag Mavens... Can You Believe it's 2020?

[ Edited ]

@stevieb  My current pet peeve is the Dooney series: the Minions could spot the "DB" from space

B1964G_QRAVPAKR

Used to be much more subtle

Dooney has their Tartan line on sale at their site for the holidays

B1299G_TTBLPABL_ALT1

B1299G_TTWHPABL_ALT1

Honored Contributor

@stevieb , @hicindy2 : I feel the same way about logo/brand display overkill. My 2 Coach Gallery Totes in signature canvas both have the "c" pattern in subtle, monochromatic color tones.

A2B9FAC3-7082-442B-BACE-27475CEA8795.jpeg

0B5A59A4-E7A5-4008-9905-24E65B084295.jpeg

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Pecky  I saw your Nash 'satchel' actually origially came in four colors, yellow, red, coral and bamboo, the last of which was a much less itense yellow-ish shade... No one seems to have all the colors but Dillards and they want full price for the bag... It's sort of an interesting bag, very simple and probably quite user friendly, but for me, not at full price... Maybe I don't check out Dillards often enough, but they seem to rarely have good sales... Sort of like here...  Smiley Very Happy

@stevieb I forget about Dillard's too.  I really like the coral color but the price isn't low enough not like the sale Macy's had.  

Honored Contributor

It looks like almost everybody is now offering EP (sorry Q, your leg up is going, well, down...) via this Afterpay and/or Klarna thing... I've not looked into either, so there might be a down side... There usually is to anything that sounds like a winner... but anyway... Was looking at this Coach tote over at Dillards and saw the notion about interest free payments... Like the tote, but prefer it in black (Dillards has it in navy) and am just not willing to ante up two bills for nylon... Will see if it lands at their outlet...

Color:Midnight Navy/Brass - Image 1 - Nylon Cargo Tote Bag

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb  It is on my radar; Nordie's has it in black.  I'll sound the alert if it gets marked down somewhere..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking of subtle logos, one of my still favorite logo bags is the original Dooney Donegal Crest. QVC offered this bag, below, as a TSV in several colors with several nicer accessories and continued to carry it for several years. I collected three of them and always wished I'd nabbed a couple more. Shown in green, the logo was clearly there but was tonal and not nearly as in your face as the revised and sort of cartoonish Donegal Crest, also below, which understandably didn't enjoy nearly the success or the longevity of the original...

Dooney & Bourke Donegal Crest Green Canvas Tote and Accessories | EBTH

Dooney & Bourke Bags | Dooney Bourke Donegal Crest Domed Satchel | Poshmark

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb  and Coach fans:  Macy's got the Cargo tote in (black) and I went and checked it out.  Kind of "meh".  Not much style and wasn't crazy about the nylon texture.  Dooney has a better grade of nylon and is silkier. 

Naturally I liked Santa Rexy Heart but it is too much for a novelty bag

So I am in a town of about 120,000 people and there are surrounding towns that feed into it (we're just outside of Sacramento). Our mall traffic remains robust (masks and reduced hours, but OK).  Our Macy's is midsized.  Coach and Patricia Nash have grown and Dooney has really shrunk as far as space allocated. Lots of Michael Kors too.  A sprinkle of Radley London and DKNY. Staff is friendly and helpful. Nordie's just looks sad; hardly any bags out and only the cosmetic and perfume counters are brisk. I worry about their survival. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hicindy2  Thanks for the update on the Coach nylon. Another one I can strike from the list. Never much of a Nordstrom fan, but at this point, hate to see almost any retailer struggling. I haven't been a prolific mall shopper in years and obviously haven't been since this debacle ensued, so no idea how they're doing here. The closest mall to me is a nicer one but not one I often go to, even in the best of times. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb  One to watch though:  Pre order from Brahmin site

Snow Leopard

Featured in Snow Leopard Melbourne, an on-trend leopard print with a charcoal base and sleek black spots. Genuine croc-embossed leather.

Duxbury Satchel Snow Leopard Melbourne Front Pre Order

PRODUCT DIMENSIONS12.8″ W 9.75″ H 5″ D
PRODUCT WEIGHT2 lbs 

and the Katie

Katie Snow Leopard Melbourne Front Pre Order

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hicindy2  Will be interested to see the leopard, though there is some sort of disconnect with a leopard print on croc embossing... Perhaps they should have used this pattern on a smooth leather bag. Still, it looks nice.