Respected Contributor

I recenlty was taken in by the special price of the Dooney Logo Lock, because it was less than the TSV price and was in bone.  Thanks to the Q's habit of long in process periods before shipment, I was able to reflect on that "deal." After tax and shipping, it was still nearly $300 and I said no.  Never mind the accessories.  I thought about all the other TSVs I have purchased in the past and realized that I had only kept one: the domed satchel. It was over $300 and in the end, it hasn't held up well.  Nicer ndbags can be expensive. Most of the Q's TSVs run in the $300 range--either north or south.  Either that or they some arrange that most EZ pays are in the $50 range for a more modeslty priced bag. Then I  started thinking what if I  did that a few times a year, at the least it's $600 per year.? What a person bought all the TSVs of Dooney, for example?  If they are all about $300 (and most are after tax and ship), that's close to a $1000. We have all hobbies and things we love to spend money on, but think if you did that for three years in a row, that's close to $3,000.  $50 doesn't do much these days and $300 you can do a little more, but when you get into the $1,000, then it you realize with you can do this money. 
Sure, I've thought about budgets and hobbies vs. needs, but I had never thought of it like in this way.

Of course, this is within context; obviously, if you are a person of means, it's a different thing and you probably don't think about it too much. Most of us have to think about it. 

Honored Contributor

A bit off point, but QVC is just about the worst place to buy a Dooney.  Unless you choose a TSV, the bag can almost always be purchased for less.  And if you are choosing a TSV, if you can just hold out about six months, you'll be able to find one on the bay deeply discounted.  I am always leery of Dooney TSVs because they have "ways" of getting that price point right where they want it.  A subtle difference here or there and they can come in under the wire.  The saying "Close but no cigar." is my view of their TSVs.

Trusted Contributor

I buy most of my Dooney's at their outlet in Las Vegas.  They may not be new models, but it's worth waiting.  Also Ilovedooney is a great website.  Free shipping and they are authentic Dooney's.

Respected Contributor

The post was not so much  for Dooney and Bourke.  You can get those quite easily at better prices.. 

This is more like for those who tend to succumb to the TSV presentation and the lure of the EZ pay. And yes, people do. If it didin't work, Q would have closed up shop long ago.

Respected Contributor

You are so correct. I've never bought D&B, bought a gorgeous bag, satchel type oiled leather from A. $72.

The lining is plain cotton, that doesn't bother me. It is in a rich whiskey color and I love it.

Jewelry is a real weakness for me. I must have close to 100 gold and gemstone rings etc. I buy much less now but it's 

been a real process. To help me see the spending I kept

scrupulous track of each purchase. Also developed 10

criteria that new jewelry purchases must meet i.e. Good value, unlike what I already have, etc.

Good luck, and enjoy your bags.

Honored Contributor

My favorite QVC fuzzy math is the "buy more and save $4." on clothing items.   Except when you buy more you rack up another $3. Shipping charge so you're really just saving a whopping $1.  They must think we're really stupid. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My favorite QVC fuzzy math is the "buy more and save $4." on clothing items.   Except when you buy more you rack up another $3. Shipping charge so you're really just saving a whopping $1.  They must think we're really stupid. 

Yes, this is the kicker that makes me roll my eyes every time.

Honored Contributor

Other than very, and I mean VERY rare instances, when there is a true sale price and reduced shipping, QVC is a lousy overall place for handbags... Almost always full retail, twelve bucks to ship and seven to return.... Yikes... I can do better...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...