Frequent Contributor

Re: GILI handbag for $699!!! Are you kidding me?

For $700 I expect the bag to be securely closed - as in a zipper as opposed to a magnetic clasp, and I certainly also expect the bottom to have feet. Whoever does the pricing at the Q has clearly lost their mind - there is no other possible explanation.

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 LuLuBelle said:

For $700 I expect the bag to be securely closed - as in a zipper as opposed to a magnetic clasp, and I certainly also expect the bottom to have feet. Whoever does the pricing at the Q has clearly lost their mind - there is no other possible explanation.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Agree, and when paying seven hundred bills for a bag, I expect it to have a real brand name and not be a TV home shopping house brand. And I don't care what these bags are modeled after...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Absurd. $700.00 for a no name bag? Throw in a few hundred more and you can get a real Chanel boy bag.

Honored Contributor

That bag doesn't look much different than the other gili why is it so much more?
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure why it's so expensive but in person the bag is absolutely fabulous!!! I purchsed it for around $500 when it first came out. It's a numbered limited edition. I purchase bags  because I like them, not because someone's name is on it. All you're doing is paying a rediculous price for the privilege of advertising someone else's' name.  If you haven't tried the G.i.l.i. Line you should give it a try...the leather is Fabulous!!!!

Respected Contributor

GILI is way overpriced. My daughter and I prefer  designer handbags that are definite designer handbags and well worth

the price.  With them  you get top quality leather , classic designs, and excellent workmanship. But, no tassel. Oh darn.

-Texas Hill Country-
Valued Contributor

Gili $699 bag, plus tax, plus shipping.

Do you think  QVC sells many of these bags? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Gili $699 bag, plus tax, plus shipping.

What's interesting is that QVC is trying to develop a high end brand....  which in my opinion will never really occur because of the very nature of a shopping channel.  A true high end brand really never loses it's cache, but an expensive (home brewed) brand from a shopping channel will.  If you look at the resale value of higher end brands being sold by shopping channels, they generally lose their resale value by a lot.  If you look at the resale value of brands such as LV, Gucci, Burberry, Hermes, et al,  they retain a lot of their resale value (depending on condition).

When/if someone goes to resell a GILI in like-new condition.... I don't believe it will garner even half it's original value....

It's also a Shopping Channel brand regardless of the price and most people have never heard of it..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I ordered a different GILI bag and the magnetic flap wasn't even put on straight.  It was diagonal when you closed it and very noticeable. The quality was just not there.  It was like I picked up an irregular at a discount store.  They are out of their minds because it seems there have been so many issues with these bags.  I prefer to deal with someone who has been in the business of making handbags, not QVC's "supposedly upscale brand".  I just bought an Aimee Kestenberg (waiting on it) and a Kelsi Dagger for vacation that I love so much, I'm getting another color.  It is on clearance and I couldn't be happier with it.  I am not a bag snob, but I do like nice leather.  I think Aimee and Kelsi are creative in their designs which appeals more to me than the same old.  Also, I don't care what they are carrying in Italy.  Why should I?   I don't even watch the GILI presentations of anything and if I see another OBI belt presentation, I'll cry.  Even though I think OBI belts are cute, I would prefer to get it elsewhere.   

Respected Contributor

Considering the quality problems with G.I.L.I. bags, that price is wildly optimistic. 

I get mine on Ebay and watch out for falling pins from the straps, wonky zippers, missing tassels and straps. Apparently, this is an issue with some of the bags. 

I got the Milano when it was a TSV here and in weeks, it was far less on this site and others. Now, I LOVE this bag and I was quite fortunate not to get one with defects, but others weren't so lucky. I trained my bag with canned goods, hanging from a hook for a few weeks and it's right now, my fave bag of any bag and it's holding up well. But no way would I ever pay close to that for G.I.L.I. 

However, considering that you may or may not get a good one, I've taken to shopping for them on Ebay and the prices are more in line with Tiganello.