Honored Contributor

Re: GILI Leather Exotic Stirrup Hobo

Professor and all:

In advance of easy pay day, wondering if the measurements for this bag differ from the vintage hobo. The handle drop length listed is indeed several inches longer (11 inches) and have just viewed the video this one seems to hang more north and south.

The vintage hobo measurements are not ideal for me, but this one looks very promising. But hoping to hear from someone with direct experience.

Also, how shiny is it? Like toledo leather or espresso lizard or ... those tv lights make it look fairly shiny.

This bag looks beautiful and I'm trying to get something that steps away from my usual black and brown (although that one looks great, too).

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

On 6/6/2015 Serendipity said:

Professor and all:

In advance of easy pay day, wondering if the measurements for this bag differ from the vintage hobo. The handle drop length listed is indeed several inches longer (11 inches) and have just viewed the video this one seems to hang more north and south.

The vintage hobo measurements are not ideal for me, but this one looks very promising. But hoping to hear from someone with direct experience.

Also, how shiny is it? Like toledo leather or espresso lizard or ... those tv lights make it look fairly shiny.

This bag looks beautiful and I'm trying to get something that steps away from my usual black and brown (although that one looks great, too).

Thanks!

Serendipity {Love your name, a great word!}:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have the blue. The shine is exaggerated in the photos. The bag is a sueded leather. The blue color is more faded/denim than the photos.

In my view, the biggest advantage of the Q is the easy return. If I don't like it, even after using it, I pack something back, no problem. Never mind paying the shipping for the privilege of NOT doing a mall-crawl. Love being able to actually carry a handbag for a few days before deciding. Still adore this one, a favorite. Upscale accessorizing when I'm wearing jeans, heels, and a collection jacket with pearls!

Honored Contributor

On 6/7/2015 1Professor said:
On 6/6/2015 Serendipity said:

Professor and all:

Thanks!

Serendipity {Love your name, a great word!}:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have the blue. The shine is exaggerated in the photos. The bag is a sueded leather. The blue color is more faded/denim than the photos.

In my view, the biggest advantage of the Q is the easy return. If I don't like it, even after using it, I pack something back, no problem. Never mind paying the shipping for the privilege of NOT doing a mall-crawl. Love being able to actually carry a handbag for a few days before deciding. Still adore this one, a favorite. Upscale accessorizing when I'm wearing jeans, heels, and a collection jacket with pearls!

Thanks -- your photo and description helps a lot. Looks just like the vintage hobo in proportions (which makes complete sense) despite the listed 5-inch discrepancy in the drop description. I was leaning toward wine (blue is not available). Glad you are enjoying that beauty.

On a separate note, in another thread you asked about the grey ostrich and whether it softened over time. Absolutely, yes. My natural ostrich from first run almost puddles as much as the pebbled leather one, and the grey (actually taupe), which I've been carrying since earlier this year for work is already half way there.

Respected Contributor

You'll love the wine exotic stirrup hobo! Puddles to a small size, actually.

Thanks for the update on the grey/taupe large Roma. I shall use it this weekend for an excursion and get it softened up. Do love gazing at it (my favorite handpags are on display, as architectural art, on various hooks and shelves—they make me smile!)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

Thanks for the update on the grey/taupe large Roma. I shall use it this weekend for an excursion and get it softened up. Do love gazing at it (my favorite handpags are on display, as architectural art, on various hooks and shelves—they make me smile!)

@1Professor: Love the wine hobo -- it's beautiful and the shape is much more easy to use than the vintage hobo. Must be the soft leather. I realize it's the same concept, but feels like a different bag to me. Smiley Very Happy Thanks again for the rec. Happy I took the chance! I bet your handbag collection is lovely, and that you have a whole whimsical section! 

Respected Contributor

@Serendipity wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@1Professor: Love the wine hobo -- it's beautiful and the shape is much more easy to use than the vintage hobo. Must be the soft leather. I realize it's the same concept, but feels like a different bag to me. Smiley Very Happy Thanks again for the rec. Happy I took the chance! I bet your handbag collection is lovely, and that you have a whole whimsical section! 

Oooh! Now that you mention it, I must create a section for my Bags of Whimsy! *scurries off*