Contributor

Re: GILI BAGS WORTH THE $$$. ?

I had no problem with the gili's even the one's liisa put out' i find the old one's lisa showed are more heavier and the rolled handle's hurt my shoulder's the newer gili's are lighter 'the handles are flat and i can wear them better 'the leather is still nice my husband thought so Smiley Happy  I like the way the hardware on the handle's are now are more sturdier ' some of the old bag's from gili had bad hardwear and stitching coming apart '' i remember all those un happy women and complaint's even when lisa was showing them SO nothing has changed much on every one's apinon !!  but i did not send mine back Smiley Happy  I got two new gili's from jill and i like them and yes the are 200. or better now' untill the sale go on but i am happy with mine.

Honored Contributor

I only have the original Roma 2's.  I had 3 but I gave one to my sister.  Those bags were worth 5 times what they costs.  Great leather, great quality.  I've seen the newer ones but I have not been tempted.  But they aren't expensive when you think of what designer bags costs now.  I don't think $250 is a lot for a bag today.  They certainly look well made to me and they are leather, they are fashion foward bags.  Organization really depends on the woman who carries the bag.  Some need a lot of pockets with a place for everything.  Some of us are perfectly ok with that "black hole" and just a zip pocket on the inside wall.

Esteemed Contributor

I got a couple on Clearance and I like them.......

I wouldn't pay full price though...

Super Contributor

I purchased a Roma several years ago...it was way too heavy for me, even before putting anything in it. I sold it at a consignment shop. I don't think $250 is unreasonable for a quality bag, but I find the leather from China can be inconsistent from bag to bag, where Italian and Spanish leathers are superior. Recently bought 2 bags from Spain, paid $200 plus each, fantastic.

Honored Contributor

I like the looks of some of them but I  am not taking a chance paying s/h and return just to check it out.

Honored Contributor

I own one, the smaller Roma 3 in the smooth leather in Camo.  LOVE IT!!  Nice leather, enough room for me and I don't consider it a small bag but copared to the original it's smaller.  I like it so much I tried getting in black (eBay) but looking back, I'm glad I didn't.  I got it off QVC and paid about half Q's price, which I felt was worth it.

I love high end hand bags and have owned quite a few. While I love this particular bag, I don't expect GILI to attain the cache that other brands have even tho they are made of good materials, made pretty well and have a decent style they are not worth the prices QVC asks for them IMHO.  When they are on sale, I believe they're a good buy for the money.  My only real complaint is that once I own a slouchy type bag from a brand, I'm usually not wanting another one.....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

I have five bags in different sizes from this line.  Some are from when LR was overseeing the design and some are from the collection which Jill Martin has reigned as Creative Director.  I love them all.  I have purchased high end (in the thousands) designer bags and own numerous bags.  I feel the Gili bags are well designed, quality handbags that I am proud to own and carry.  Both LR and JM did an excellent job in bringing high end design to an affordable price point.  I realize the prices on the Gili bags are higher than many bags, however, the features, quality and design warrant the price.  My bags have all worn well with no signs of wear.  I do protect my bags in their dust bags when I am not carrying them.  

Honored Contributor

Each to their own... I have an original 'medium' Roma, which I think is the best of the lot... I have one original large Roma, and several of the later incarnation (after they resolved the handle issues) of the Roma 2... I think they were priced somewhat appropriately, but none of them is worth anywhere near five times the asking price, in my opinion... I ordered a few later release bags but they all went back for one reason or another. Some of them were flawed others just failed to appeal... I did order and keep one of the very large exotic totes that was initially ridiculously pricey, but I got it at a great price and it is beautiful... I've ordered very few and kept none of the bags released since Jill began fronting the line... I'm no longer personally interested in the line...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Jill and Shawn were trying to sell that fringed Roma bag last nite that has been on forever.....now it's marked down under $100.00. It's funny when they pull it out to sell it.
Respected Contributor

The hardware on the Gili bags looks very cheap to me.  That is why I have never purchased any of their leathergoods.