Respected Contributor

Re: GILI BAGS A MISS?

[ Edited ]

It's an overpriced house brand that seems to simply copy or modify " real" brands' designs. Not interested. 

Respected Contributor

I ordered the Square Shopper Tote, because I liked the design. It helped that there were EZ pays and free shipping. After I ordered, they put up the video and I discovered that it squeaked.  I thought it was just a fluke then  I read the reviews. I couldn't cancel it. I think good leather bags aren't supposed to squeak (loudly, anway)

Went to pick it up at the PO and it was so heavy with just tissue paper, I know I wouldn't want to use it. I sent it back unwrapped.

I don't think the hardware on these latest incarnations looks that great for the price. 

On clearance, they're probably OK. But I wouldn't expect them to last for decades.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own three but they are the original Roma 2 bags.  I've owned them for years now and they just get better and better with age.  I have blush, black and chocolate brown in soft yummy leather.  I have never been tempted to buy any others, the newer versions don't seem to be of the same quality althought there is an embellished beige suede that I keep returning too.  If it ever gets down to under $100, I might just take a chance on it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have 4: 3 are the Roma 2 bags (never has there been a better buy than those bags...never) and a clutch (which is very nice but a tad small since I like large clutches). All are gorgeous, the leather is fantastic, they're just amazing bags. I've tried a few since and they all went back due to poor leather quality or poor workmanship. 

There have been a few I've love to own but honestly? I think they're way too expensive for what they are. Should the prices come way down, I'll think about it.

Honored Contributor

I own the Small Roma in the Camo print.  I love the leather, it's incredible and I got it on sale. Bought it mainly because of the Camo print and do love the bag but I wouldn't buy a bigger one because my stuff tends to roll around in it and it would be worse in a bigger bag.  I also bought a Rose Gold small clutch and the leather is very nice.  Again on sale.  The last thing I bought is their Camo jacket.... love that too and also got it on sale.  Made well, fits well ..... but that's it.  Mainly I consider GILI stuff overpriced for what it is. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor

I had an original ROMA 4 bag which I thought I would love; the weight was awful. So heavy. I sold it on Ebay.  Have not tried any other of their bags. 

Respected Contributor

I can’t speak to the quality but Ive always wondered...These have been ‘on sale’ (hardly) for a long time. They can’t seem to move them at the sale prices... I don’t really understand why they made every bag design so big, and none medium or small (I guess because they were copying these designer bags- knocking off might we say?), but only a fraction of ladies carry huge bags.  If they want to move these, reduce them further, although way too big for me, and the styles are now outdated.

Occasional Contributor

I love all my G.I.L.I. bags. I think the quality of the leather is awesome and they take all my wear and tear. I did notice many are on clearance. I just wait to purchase them when there's an easy pay option to make them more affordable. Compared to other brands on QVC, I think you get more bang for your buck without compromising style or quality. I'm not partial to Lisa over Jill. I have bags from both and haven't really noticed a difference in their look and feel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I like bags that are lightweight and organized. GILI bags don't have the required organization, are very heavy and too expensive for me.

However, I recognize that others like a more open, everything in one place type purse.

I'm also not particularly a fan of the lady that took Lisa's place with this line.

I'm not either. Thought she was a rather iffy choice to be the Gili spokesmodel. Her voice is grating and unless I miss my bet, she's about as much a 'creative director' as I am. I also think Lisa had more clout with some customers than her replacement will ever have.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

It seems like since the quality of the design and workmanship declined, the bags are introduced at a ludicrous price but come down quickly. Maybe that's been the intent and maybe it's because they don't sell as well as was anticipated. I think the brand was also better marketed prior to the transition. There was a certain buildup that a regular host could pull off that an occasional vendor just can't, even one of the better ones, which Jill isn't.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...