Respected Contributor

High in price and heavy in weight.

Respected Contributor

I've only ordered 1 GILI handbag.   It was stunning and appeared to be well made.   I had to return it because it was just too large for me.  And yes,  I considered the measurements before I ordered,  but in real life,  it just didn't work for me.  

But while I can't contribute to the quality discussion based on long term use of a GILI handbag,  I did want to add some perspective.   The price of leather handbags has been going up and up and up all over.   Most bags have some brand name on them.... it may be one you've heard of or not;  it may be 'designer' or 'celebrity' or not.  Very often the brand isn't enough to assure you of the quality.  Many brands us different leathers and sometimes different manufacturing for different parts of their collections.  And handbags made for a large client (like QVC or a department store,  are designed to meet the requirements and price points of that client.  That might mean things are added or compromises are made in size, trim, leather, etc. to meet price/cost targets.  It's the brand name,  but they are not making the decisions alone).)

Also,  some of us like structured handbags with zip top closures.   Some like soft slouch leathers and easy access open or snap tops.  Some hand carry a bag,  some like short shoulder, some long shoulder, some cross body.  The perfect handbag for one is often not a good handbag for someone else.

If you find an unstructured handbag that you love,  but generally prefer the organization of a structured handbag,  try using a purse organizer.   It makes a world of difference.   Whether you buy the QVC Purseperfect or an inexpensive nylon one from the bay,  you may find that it gives the handbag some structure and also that your items stay organized and in place where you put them.   I've found a purse organizers to be very helpful in slouchy or even structured larger handbags.   I like my things to stay where I put them and not roam around inside my handbag.

As an aside,  in general,  I have found Dooney to be one of the best quality handbags,  pretty consistently.  Of course,  they make a range of bags in different leathers (and other materials) at different price points.  But,  dollar for dollar,  the quality of the materials and construction is excellent,  in my experience.  

Occasional Contributor

I adore the Gili bags and have been scooping up the new ones on Ebay.  My absolute favorite is the rare, huge taupe/gray ostrich in the original Roma. I have so many I am embarrassed to say. Have noted the following defects: the Verona is lovely but doesn't hold a lot and the hardware will break if you stuff too  much in it.  The only way to repair it is to buy a dirt cheap bag on ebay for the hardware.  Some of the early Romas in black have cracked handles. I've tried to cover the cracks in black shoe goo but they really require a leather fill/spackle material first, then edge paint.  The cognac ostrich Romas are easily discolored and require gentle handling because they're essentially nude leather.  The Italian stick leather tote with exotic drawstring side tassels has magnificent leather but the handles require reinforcement.  I also applied leather conditioner to the orange Roma 2 and some of the dye came off so that one is waiting to be redyed.  I have both the original and the redo of the foldover croco large envelope and the early one is much richer looking, in my opinion. All the snakeskins are fragile and require pampering. One of the best conditioner I've found for them   is Fieblings saddle oil, which is half lanolin, half silicone. The final issue with the early Romas is the fabric inside the handle frays and might need to be trimed and glued.  None of these operations is a  big deal except for redying.

Trusted Contributor

I also bought a couple when Lisa Robertson was selling them on the Q. I bought the Leather Convertible Backpack/Handbag in Cognac (large) and a smaller one in Black. Honestly, I used them once or twice and put them away in the closet in their cloth bag. The problem is that they are so very heavy bewteen the leather and all the hardware. I recently sold one on ebay and hope the buyer enjoys it.

Respected Contributor

I only ordered one; I even opened the package at the PO. It was too heavy and I had wanted it for a carryall. I didn't even unwrap it.

In general, the price of handbags is ridiculous.  What $250- $300 got you ten years ago is not the same in 2019. I have a certain level of quality that I expect. But they keep cutting corners. You see it in the handles, straps and lining. The absence of pockets. The replacement of leather with ribbon (Dooney and Bourke, for example)

Although they're close in price, I don't think GILI bags are at the same quality as Dooney and Bourke. Maybe Radley London, but I think the hardware and certain details are better on RL. To keep GILI bags low, I think they cut corners on the lining and hardware.  Others have commented that they were nice in the beginning. That's too bad. 

With most of these bags, you either wait for a sale or until they land on the Bay.