Occasional Contributor

G.I.L.I. Roma Rehab

[ Edited ]

This thread is devoted to perking up aging G.I.L.I. bags--primarily Romas but also Milanos, Madisons, Laurens, Chelseas and what have you.

1.) My old Roma doesn't have a snap.   Brass snaps can be purchased for about $2 on ebay. Long wait because they're coming from China. Most are 18mm. My shoemaker charges $10 to insert them and I'm in a major city.

2.) My old Roma doesn't have feet.  Again, buy the feet on ebay or at Michael's and take the purse to your shoemaker. This is a little more work and expense because he will have to open and restitch the lining to do this.

3.) The edgepaint on my handles is cracked. The easiest thing is to take it to your shoemaker and ask him to reapply the edgepaint.  If you're a DIY'r, there are a number of products you can use: Fiebing's edgepaint. Shoe Goo (comes in black), Leather filler, thick acrylic paint. You can roll on the edging with a pencil or orange stick. You may need a couple of coats.  You can also do the same to the leather loops that hold the purse hardware. Edgepaint comes in different colors.

4.) There's an oil stain on my cognac ostrich bag.  It's there to stay.  The vachetta leather responds to oil as if it's a finish or dressing. You can buff it out or dye the entire thing but Irecommend just enjoying it as a lived-in imperfection.

More?

Occasional Contributor

My Roma doesn't have an inside set of hooks to taper the shape.

You can buy double-ended trigger hooks used in scuba diving to create two hooks. Or add just one as a key holder.  They are solid brass and about $5. each. on ebay.triggercli[.jpg

Valued Contributor

it sounds good to have thid dedicated thread.