Occasional Contributor

I have purchased several G.i.l.i. items in the last few months.  I noticed in the description that some are listed as Made in China and some say Imported.  I only order the Imported items, yet when I receive them, they have a Made in China tag.  So, are the leathers imported but the bag is Made in China??   Just curious??

Respected Contributor

The last time I looked, China was a foreign country.  Anything made in China is imported. 

Super Contributor

The materials may be from somewhere else (ie Italy) but if the item is constructed somewhere else (ie China) the tag will say "Made in China. 

Frequent Contributor

yes the leather is sourced but made in China

Respected Contributor

My previous career had me travel to factories all over the world. I ended up in Asia and let me tell you, there are enormous factories and shipping facilities near airports in China and Thailand. In the open air night markets are all the brands, seconds, and knock-offs that you recognize here. It's astonishing. That's where clothing and shoes and bags are constructed in big factories. 

If a bag were made in Italy, with the cost of doing business there, it would cost five times as much, at least. Labor is far more expensive. 

Having said that, I have my first GILI bag and I'm enjoying it more than I thought. 

Super Contributor

Made in China . 

Super Contributor

I'm loving my GILI Roma 2. I have the Cream Snake (my fave right now) and the black. When I temporarily  switch to my Dooney, Mizrahi, Kestenberg,  Tignanello etc... I can't wait till get back to my GILI.

Respected Contributor

@MeganRose wrote:

I'm loving my GILI Roma 2. I have the Cream Snake (my fave right now) and the black. When I temporarily  switch to my Dooney, Mizrahi, Kestenberg,  Tignanello etc... I can't wait till get back to my GILI.

I love my Dooneys but I have to admit the leather on my Roma 2's is much nicer, higher quality than what is on my Dooneys.  I have 3 Roma's 2's, that's enough.  So, now I'm buying the Gili obi belts to coordinate with my bags.