Contributor
Maybe it's just me, but, I rationalize a leather bag being made out of an animal that is used for food. I know that some people eat snake, but the majority are killed just for their skins. Doesn't anyone else see something wrong with that? It's as bad a fur. Do we really need to kill for style. GILI bags are beautiful, but, because of the natural snake I'll never purchase from that company.
Honored Contributor

Re: G.I.L.I. And natural snake

[ Edited ]

The bags are all embossed to look like snake, but it's not real snake. (In fact, it's against the law in California to sell or import python bags. That's why you'll see a lot of faux python styles from high end designers.)

Valued Contributor

Real snake skin wood cost THOUSANDS of dollars!!!
Esteemed Contributor

In a sense, it's sort of flattering to imitate snake skin...kind of an honor. I, however, cringe at the sight of snake skin - real or imitation. I simply CAN"T wear anything that reminds me of snakes.

Contributor

I do hope you are correct. Embossed, is wonderful. Unfortunately, I thought the host described the bag as natural snake. What else could that mean but snake skin?
Valued Contributor

@Etelka wrote:
I do hope you are correct. Embossed, is wonderful. Unfortunately, I thought the host described the bag as natural snake. What else could that mean but snake skin?

I'm pretty sure she was referring to the color of the bag. Please, you can't be serious if you still think that making a bag out of a real snake would cost only $199?!?!?! 

Honored Contributor

Yes, it was very likely referring to the color of the bag. They have "natural" this and "natural" that, usually meaning a light brown color. Like the "natural ostrich" color versus the "ballet ostrich" color -- and neither are ostrich, but embossed. ToughKitty is right on the money, so to speak, in that it would cost upward of a thousand for even a small snakeskin bag, and more likely several thousand.

Respected Contributor

Not only costly, but natural snake is not durable. I love the printed leathers. I have a Roma2 in natural ostrich and the Milano in blush ostrich. The cow leather has softened beautifully and it's durable. I do not need exotic leathers, personally. I am not a vegan, so cow hide, part of meat production, works fine for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

In a sense, it's sort of flattering to imitate snake skin...kind of an honor. I, however, cringe at the sight of snake skin - real or imitation. I simply CAN"T wear anything that reminds me of snakes.

I'm with you... real or fake, snake is snake, and I dont like it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...