Trusted Contributor
I really have more handbags than any women should admit, like so many others here I guess It’s just my weakness. The Brahmin are my favorites but I have a few Kate spade, Tory Burch, Coach, fossil , Patricia Nash and Dooney. Sometimes I do like a change. But I always return back to the Brahmin because they are just made so well and worth the money. But I’m I thinking about a Frye to add to my collection.

My question is, do any of you own a Frye handbag? I’ve looked at them in the dept stores and they seem to scratch easily. Is that just part of their characteristics? I’ve spotted one style that I’m leaning towards but really want to be sure it wouldn’t look tattered in a few months. I know they are leather and have that Frye worn look but I can’t decide. Anyone own one ?
Honored Contributor

@ladycos  I think the Frye bags are gorgeous, but as you bought up I have so many bags and I'm gathering up the courage to release most of my closet....clothing, shoes, and bags.  I also work to not purchase leather anymore.  My life and priorities have changed and it is an ongoing evolving process. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

these bags can be scratched easily..

Respected Contributor

Re: Frye handbag question

[ Edited ]

I own A342299 (the larger version in olive) and I absolutely love it.  I haven't had any problems at all with scratching.  It was my first Frye bag and I won't hesitate to buy other Frye bags in the future.

Super Contributor

I have three Frye handbags and I love them!  I suppose they could scratch easily, but I am not particularly hard on my bags.  Even if they did get a scratch, I would think of it as adding character!  Love the vintage look of this brand.  My only caution is they are heavy!

Honored Contributor

Yes, they do scratch easily, but that's just their "thing".  That didn't bother me.

I bought a Frye Melissa Hobo at the Nordstrom anniversary sale last July.  Carried it for a little more than a week and then sold it at consignment.  It sold immediately, the same day I took it there.

I didn't like the rolled handles at all, not comfortable on my shoulder, and the inside of the bag was just this huge black large pit.

And it was heavy, but I expected that.

Never again.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I really like my Frye bags. Yes they can scratch but that is part of their charm. If you want a bag that is perfect all the time there are plenty around. I only buy their smaller bags as I’m not a big bag girl. I have a black one that doesn’t scratch and a brown in the same bag that does scratch. Same bag but different leather. 

Honored Contributor

It depends on the type of leather.  The Melissa's are more of a distressed leather that does scratch easy which is the character of the bag.  They do have smooth leather bags that do not scratch.  I have purchased both types and ended up returning them because they were to heavy with hardly anything inside.  I agree about the rolled handles they are very uncomfortable on the shoulders.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Frye handbag question

[ Edited ]

Handbag choices are so individual. Personally, after a brief period of interest a while back, I have little use for Frye bags... They're heavy, expensive and, to me, lack any real style... The leather is nice, if a bit thick, but that's really not enough to justify any interest on my part... I have a few that are years old, rarely used and with no interest in having any more...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I have a pair of Frye boots from long ago, before they were made in China. Pure quality and were over $200 then.  I purchased a handbag and returned it as the quality & leather were not the same.  I don’t believe Frye & Co sold on tv is the same as Frye.