Esteemed Contributor

Field Bag/ Messenger Bag Concept

Being a big fan of British mysteries, I am intrigued by the field bag concept while sprinting through the rugged countryside or hiking over the moors.  Translating that to Northern California suburbia takes a bit more imagination.  I was checking out Nordstrom Rack online and came across the Barbour line.  Aha.  

This is the one I ordered (perfect with my corduroy jacket in olive that I'll be hauling out). Now, I do have to deal with buckles, but that should be OK. Really like the wide strap. 

Something different for me than my Dooneys and Kiplings.

Barbour Morris Print Reiver Messenger Bag

Like the looks of the tweed also and the travel bag.  Nice thing is, I have a Nordstrom Rack in town that will do returns. Something to be said for modern times !!

Barbour Estate Tweed Messenger BagBarbour Morris Print Explorer Travel Bag

Honored Contributor

Re: Field Bag/ Messenger Bag Concept

When I was working I collected leather messenger bags.  I loved them for work & just slopping around town. 

Since I've always worked in a "metropolitan" city that made use of bicycle messengers, I purchased my bags from the messenger companies.

Now that I am retired, I gave all my bags except the two shown below to my daughter who jumped for joy!!!

1f8a6e5e181a777f0894a3c3441fb339.jpg45215a9740052399a61e3ae5e9bea178.jpg

Both bags are 30+ yrs young & the first 2 I ever bought.  I couldn't part w/them.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Those leather "vintage" bags are wonderful.  When I was a commercial bank auditor, I didn't want to carry a hard side briefcase.  I carried a canvas and leather bag for years.  Orvis still has some made in the USA.  

Gokey Waxhide & Navy Canvas Briefcase

Honored Contributor

@hicindy2 wrote:

Those leather "vintage" bags are wonderful.  When I was a commercial bank auditor, I didn't want to carry a hard side briefcase.  I carried a canvas and leather bag for years.  Orvis still has some made in the USA.  

Gokey Waxhide & Navy Canvas Briefcase

Great looking bag... I love canvas and leather combined into a nice bag...

While I also love the typical 'messenger' silhouette, I stopped using them because the flap and buckles tend to be more to navigate than I tend to want...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@hicindy2

Your bag reminds me of my Coach leather messenger bag I purchased during the 70's.  It looked sort of like yours except the color was red.  Coach had a soft suade one too.

I used mine for "meetings."  Everyone in the office knew there was going to be a meeting when I strutted into the office w/the red messenger bag.

The Coach messenger bag came w/a red leather bound change purse & a red leather bound address book.<----- Remember those??? Smiley Very Happy

Now my daughter has it.  I think she is still doing backflips.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

While I also love the typical 'messenger' silhouette, I stopped using them because the flap and buckles tend to be more to navigate than I tend to want...

Which is why pick pocketers hate messenger bags. Smiley Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know they carried Barbour bags at Norstrom Rack. Thanks for sharing that, @hicindy2

I've been looking at this one at Orvis:  http://www.orvis.com/p/barbour-tweed-tarras/2e7g

I just bought a Barbour jacket for my son.  Great quality!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@hicindy2

I used mine for "meetings."  Everyone in the office knew there was going to be a meeting when I strutted into the office w/the red messenger bag.

The Coach messenger bag came w/a red leather bound change purse & a red leather bound address book.<----- Remember those??? Smiley Very Happy

We all flipped out when Patricia Nash started doing those "old classic look" accessories.  Dillard's carries them online at the moment:

product imageproduct image

Honored Contributor

Enjoy your new bag. I carried messenger styles for a long time in the past. Not so much any more though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval