Honored Contributor

I purchased 2 Fossil leather totes (red and black). I use them when traveling for magazines, IPad and usual handbag items. Recently checked site for leather care since our mall store closed. Warning: DO NOT GET WET. 

Well, certainly if the SA had informed me rain drops (I assume any spots of water) will stain the bags, I would not have spent $200 each. Furious, I contacted corporate to check out this info. They confirmed the way their leather is treated & finished, it will spot/stain if gets wet. They will not refund the money spent or exchange bags for other merchandise or gift card. 

Another ease of buyer beware. I’ll continue to use the bags, but the tanning and staining process stinks. After just 4 months w/o getting them wet, they look like 5 yr. old bags. 

Trusted Contributor

Did you ask? 

Frequent Contributor

Re: FOSSIL TOTES WOWS

[ Edited ]

I can see your frustration, but I’m not sure. Fossil should reimburse you because you didn’t know care instructions.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus.  Several years ago, I bought a pretty cross body Fossil bag done in turquoise leather.  I'm not hard on bags because I don't go out much and they mostly just hang out at home.  This one hung on the door to the garage nowhere near any light source.  One day I lifted the flap on it only to discover the whole bag had faded and the color under the flap was much darker than the rest of the bag.  It was a mess.  I trashed the bag; $99. (on sale at Dillards) down the drain.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Shanus  I have quite a few Fossil handbags of various colors and types and have never had a problem with them discoloring.  Yes, I have carried them in the rain, but under the umbrella with me.  They have all gotten rain drops on them but never been soaked in water.  No problems.

Do you think the caution not to get them wet is one of those over the top warnings like “Don’t eat peanut butter if you are allergic to peanuts”?   

One solution  might be to use a leather cream on them that will make them water proof.  I know Frye sells one for about $10 for this purpose.  

I’m sorry you’re unhappy with your purchases.  I have always been pleased with my Fossil bags and recommend them to people all the time!

@Kachina624 -  I would have taken that back to the retailer as defective!  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624. Our store closed months ago.

Honored Contributor

@Deb665 wrote:

@Shanus  I have quite a few Fossil handbags of various colors and types and have never had a problem with them discoloring.  Yes, I have carried them in the rain, but under the umbrella with me.  They have all gotten rain drops on them but never been soaked in water.  No problems.

Do you think the caution not to get them wet is one of those over the top warnings like “Don’t eat peanut butter if you are allergic to peanuts”?   

One solution  might be to use a leather cream on them that will make them water proof.  I know Frye sells one for about $10 for this purpose.  

I’m sorry you’re unhappy with your purchases.  I have always been pleased with my Fossil bags and recommend them to people all the time!

@Kachina624 -  I would have taken that back to the retailer as defective!  

@Deb665  The instructions online say not to use any type of leather cleaner. DH said you spent the $ already and just use them...whatever happens will happen. He’s the voice of reason.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shanus.  Several years ago, I bought a pretty cross body Fossil bag done in turquoise leather.  I'm not hard on bags because I don't go out much and they mostly just hang out at home.  This one hung on the door to the garage nowhere near any light source.  One day I lifted the flap on it only to discover the whole bag had faded and the color under the flap was much darker than the rest of the bag.  It was a mess.  I trashed the bag; $99. (on sale at Dillards) down the drain.

@Kachina624  Oh forgot that part...”Keep bag away from any sunlight”. That poor Fossil cow. She couldn’t relax in the sun and had to run to the barn if the sky darkened.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus.  LOL.  I only know it'll be a cold day in you-know-where before I buy another Fossil handbag. 

It has been years since I've been to the mall, but I hope Dillard's prevails.  It's the only decent store we have left.  I used to buy so much there when I worked; Kasper suits, beautiful blouses.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Cole Haan is another one you can’t get wet. I had a coworker years ago who bought a pair of loafers and once they got wet they looked terrible. I stopped buying Fossil years ago. There stuff just doesn’t look that good long term.