Honored Contributor

Re: EVEN COACH HAS GONE DOWNHILL

[ Edited ]

@GarlandGal wrote:

@Mindy D I live near a Couch Outlet and have found that most of it's bags are now made specifically for outlet stores, and they are not the same quality as those found in boutiques. I miss the days when good bargains could be found!

If you look at the lable inside the bag and the seriel number contains the letter "F", it was made for Couch's factory outlet stores. The retail price on the tag means nothing.  According to a very helpful Couch sales rep, the bag never saw the inside of a boutique, and was never meant to.

Will this F also be on the price tag? Thanks, I was trying to remember this. I'll be checking. At least I have two serviceable black bags. First I spend nearly $300 for a not-so-hot Oryany and then I spend $270 for some just O.K. Coaches. Live and learn. I'll wait and get a great bag later. One trend I notice though, is that many new styles don't zip closed. I can't stand when my bag tips over in the car and things fall out. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D,   Some of the Coach bags today are very expensive $500 range which is not for me.  Beautiful bags but too pricey.  I have had luck with Kate Spade bags.  I own several pebble leather that are truly beautiful bags.  I could probably use one more black bag crossbody but I always wait for their sales.  Last Christmas I bought an iridescent leather wallet that was $100 for $40.  I receive many compliments on that wallet.  I prefer the more conservative look of bag because some Kate Spade bags are way out there in design.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Always window shopping online, there was a time I was totally enamoured by the Edie silhouette.  That is until I went to a department store and saw this handbag "up close and in person". I immediately fell out of infatuation. I would not consider this a quality bag---it was rather stiff and didn't have that lovely drape that I look for in a bag.  

My bucket list includes a "real" designer bag.  I personally would rather have one beautiful bag than several of a lesser quality. 

Honored Contributor

@GarlandGal wrote:

@Mindy D I live near a Couch Outlet and have found that most of it's bags are now made specifically for outlet stores, and they are not the same quality as those found in boutiques. I miss the days when good bargains could be found!

If you look at the lable inside the bag and the seriel number contains the letter "F", it was made for Couch's factory outlet stores. The retail price on the tag means nothing.  According to a very helpful Couch sales rep, the bag never saw the inside of a boutique, and was never meant to.

Now I'm really steaming. Price tag says F36675

$295. What a rip off. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I don't care for Coach's outlet bags.  Instead I wait for the higher end bags to go on clearance at the department stores or take advantage of the invites to the Coach outlet website sales where you can usually score a great deal on the higher end bags.  I just grabbed a Mercer at a steal at Macys because it was the last one.  They also had a burnt orange Edie with a chain strap on clearance that was lovely!

I don't think it's much of a sale but Coach.com just came out with their Fall Sale so if you are looking for anything above the outlet level, depending on price, everything excluding Selena and their 1941 line is 20-30% off.   Edies are included!  

I bought the bags from an invitation to the Coach Outlet website sale. The regular Coach store online is having a sale today. The only reason I didn't buy the Edie 31 at the regular Coach online store is that it can't be zipped closed. So I chose a couple of other bags from the online Outlet Store. Stupid me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz wrote:

Always window shopping online, there was a time I was totally enamoured by the Edie silhouette.  That is until I went to a department store and saw this handbag "up close and in person". I immediately fell out of infatuation. I would not consider this a quality bag---it was rather stiff and didn't have that lovely drape that I look for in a bag.  

My bucket list includes a "real" designer bag.  I personally would rather have one beautiful bag than several of a lesser quality. 

In my long term research on the Edie 31 (I want feet on my bag, so I didn't  want a 28), I wanted to see how they look once they are used or once the stuffing was out of them. I checked on eBay and watched YouTube videos. This bag looks much better before you take out the stuffing or even use it for a couple of times. This factor, plus the lack of a top zipper, made me hesitant to buy one. I sat in the fence about it all year. EDITED for many errors.

Honored Contributor

Not to enable anyone but rumor has it Dillards is having a 30% Coach in store through Sunday (not on website) and Macy's is having 30% Coach starting Sunday.  Belk has been on sale for a while and I think goes through next week but check their site.

Just in case anyone wants to check something out in a department store near you.  

@Mindy D  There is a site called Purse Forum which has some wonderful threads on the different authentications of Coach bags.  Just google it if you really want to know what level a bag is or what the numbers all mean.  I just buy what I like and almost always in person but if you are debating sight unseen, the girls there are really great about helping people out.   

Contributor

I've never notice the "F" being on the price tag, @Mindy D, only on the leather label affixed to the inside of the bag. The print on the label is usually fairly large and the number is easy to read. If the "F" is there, you won't miss it.

Honored Contributor

@GarlandGal wrote:

I've never notice the "F" being on the price tag, @Mindy D, only on the leather label affixed to the inside of the bag. The print on the label is usually fairly large and the number is easy to read. If the "F" is there, you won't miss it.

There's an F inside on a label, but its imprint is very difficult to read. It is pressed into a leather label.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D,

I am sorry that you had a bad experience however Coach is not what it was. I used to love most of their bags now  they have lost their appeal. It is also true what everyone says about outlets selling low quality items🌻