Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Gee, I can't help but detect an unsavory subtext in some of these posts.

She dresses to look masculine.  Nothing unsavory about it, just the truth.

Honored Contributor

Ellen dresses how she chooses to dress, which is what we all should be able to do.

I believe the subtext that @suzyQ3 was referring to was the talk that had zero to do with her handbags. Such as the comment that she should be designing billfolds. Several male handbag designers design and sell handbags but they don't carry one. What's the difference? She doesn't need to carry a handbag in order to sell one. Nor does she need to carry one to fit anyone's ideas about who she should be. Other than her own.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

@forsythia1

WHOA! DID YOU REALLY JUST GO THERE.!?!?!

AND YES LARGE TEXT INTENTIONALLY!

Honored Contributor

Re: ED Ellen Degeneres bags

[ Edited ]

Some of this commentary is just ridiculous. Male designers are a huge part of the handbag industry so why shouldn't a gay woman, who might or might not carry a handbag herself, include handbags as part of her line of goods... Likewise, many men design clothes for women that they clearly don't wear themselves and yet no one questions their ability to design women's clothes. Yes, if you really think about it, unsavory seems to be the right call for some of these posts...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Ellen dresses how she chooses to dress, which is what we all should be able to do.

I believe the subtext that @suzyQ3 was referring to was the talk that had zero to do with her handbags. Such as the comment that she should be designing billfolds. Several male handbag designers design and sell handbags but they don't carry one. What's the difference? She doesn't need to carry a handbag in order to sell one. Nor does she need to carry one to fit anyone's ideas about who she should be. Other than her own.

No but they do seem to have a sense of style which in my opinion Ellen does not

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21, and Post #7.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Style is all subjective and all a matter of opinion. Many male designers don't have style, or styles, that are my preference.

That's what makes the world go round, marching to your own drum and being true to yourself. Last time I checked no one was being forced to buy her products, including her handbags. The op was about the price of the bags and how they compare to other brands. Not Ellen's personal style or other things being posted about that I won't even repeat.

I have one sweater from her line, it's really cute and stylish. For me. I don't care at all what others think. Don't think Ellen does either. To me she always looks professional and appropriate on tv. She is true to herself and I admire that.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Frequent Contributor

Can anyone tell me what "Oax to Oax" means (the tote bag name)?

Esteemed Contributor

Companies must be so desperate to have a so-called celebrity (I don't consider Ellen a celebrity) hawk their products. Sounds like it's a bad product if they can't sell it by the brand name. Ellen and Handbags --- what a combo? She should be hawking multi million $$$$ houses --- as she's always buying and selling - and making a ton of money.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Companies must be so desperate to have a so-called celebrity (I don't consider Ellen a celebrity) hawk their products. Sounds like it's a bad product if they can't sell it by the brand name. Ellen and Handbags --- what a combo? She should be hawking multi million $$$$ houses --- as she's always buying and selling - and making a ton of money.

@kivah, I think that ED fits the definition of "celebrity" to a T.

And she is no different than any other person who has made and continues to make a ton of money. Well, she may be different than many in that she is dedicated to many charitable causes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland