Occasional Contributor

I have a few Dooney's. They have become much too heavy for me to carry. I purchased, in late summer, A269259, a sold out Tig bag, just for this reason. I like glove leather. I don't like anything hard or "plastic-y" feeling. This bag is great. I do agree that there appears to be more lining than is necessary. But in the end, I prefer that my shoulders and upper back don't take a hit from a heavy bag. If Dooney's could lighten it up, I would purchase one. 

Respected Contributor

I own bags of all price points. Love my spendy ones and my cheapies.

However, I think I am over Dooney. Just tuned in and saw a Dooney nylon bag for $235. Seriously? Dooney is starting to all look the same to me! Based on what I just saw, I prefer my Tigs or even my Travelon's better.

Now that I think about it, I have a nylon Prada that I found on clearance for far less!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Occasional Contributor

What a timely topic for me!  I've been a devoted Tignanello fan since I got my first one 4 years ago...recently I have gotten way too many!  I have also wondered about D&B, though there is only one style I have seen that I think I would like.  Though I would appreciate the 100% leather bag, I think weight would be an issue for me, but I think that really depends on personal preference, whether you will sacrifice real leather for a lighter bag.  The Tig hosts say that the faux trim on their bags are there for some beneficial reasons: to bring the price down, longevity (they place the faux trim at the spots that get the most wear), and to keep the bag lighter and more comfortable.  

Here is what I've found:

Yes, the price is lower, which is important for me - but for others, if you can afford to spend a bit more, you may think a D&B all leather bag is more worth the initial investment.  I have never bought a Tig bag at full price - if I had to, I might just spend some extra to get an all leather handbag.

Longevity - my first Tig bag that I purchased 4 years ago and really didn't reat well, that bag took a beating, roughly handled, rained and snowed on, etc, only just now developed problems - the edge of the faux leather strap lost its seal.  That is a cheap fix with materials I can get on Amazon, but I realized that too late, I already donated the bag - also the leather looked quite broken in because of rough treatment, but I loved it as my worn in looking bag - if I had treated the leather better, I think it would have looked very nice.  In fact, I have another 2 Tig bags I bought back then that look brand new, I was much gentler with those.  But the faux leather - I think it depends on how thick the straps are.  The thicker ones last, but the thinner ones may get stretched/warped if you store them hanging, then the cheapness will be visibly apparent.  

Appearance: I can indeed tell from looking that the straps are faux, and sometimes the trim as well (ESPECIALLY if brown) - you just really need to look closely at the bags they are advertising.  Sometimes I have noticed that the faux trim color will not exactly match the leather parts, which gives the whole bag a very tacky look, so I avoid those bags.  I am very, very particular/choosy in which Tig bags I buy - they can look really stylish, feel comfortable, last a long time, and be more affordable - but some of them, sometimes even just particular colors within each style, will actually look cheaper because that fake trim stands out. I don't think you'd have that problem with D&B - with Tig I find I really need to pick and choose, and some cute styles I don't bother with because I can tell the faux leather will ruin the look.  For the bags I have, I don't mind that the trim is faux - they are still really cute, and I don't mind carrying a bag that is cute but doesn't look super high-end expensive - it looks "quality enough" for me right now, and I love the deals I manage to find, and I make sure that I *adore* the style - I happen to LOVE some of Tig's styles, and since I can buy a bunch of them in different styles and colors, it's possible for me to have fun with different bags and outfits!  Maybe in the future I will just want fewer bags, in which case I would spend more money on fewer and higher quality bags. 

Quality: Okay, here's where reviews are really important.  I read the most negative reviews to be sure of any issues - sometimes there are common issues that come up depending on the style - so be wary of those.  I often receive a Tig bag with some irregularity in stitching or coloration, some wrinkling (may be from packaging) - basically, my Tig bags have not necessarily looked totally pristine, but are ready for wear and tear, the leather can get scratched, a few splashes, etc.  To me it gives the bag a unique character, but I know I would never find these types of issues with the higher end bags.  if you want a more perfectly polished and preppy look, then I think D&B is the way to go. Oh, I even notice the minor Tig imperfections on the bags they use in the presentations, so I know it's not just mine. Since they are made in China, maybe the quality control isn't as good as it could be. 

I wish I liked more D&B styles!  I'd like to try carrying one at a store to test the weight....though really, I have no business buying anymore bags right now, I just came off a crazy bag binge!

Occasional Contributor

I have been a Dooney fan for more than 35 years, always have been. That said Tignanello leather is awesome. Their prices are very good, the quality is excellent and they do not wear out. They are far less expensive than Dooney as well. I have many of their bags and have been quite pleased.

Occasional Contributor

p.s.  Just to add onto my overly long post (sorry) - I also see a lot of comments that Tignanello bag quality seems lower now than earlier.  That does make me more cautious about buying them in the future - I believe most, if not all, of my Tig bags are from prior years.  I love the ones I already have and will care for them to make them last as long as possible, though.   Also about the faux leather - since Tig claims this is to make the bag last longer, then I would hope they must be using a type of faux leather that is actually stronger than leather - there are such materials out there.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney vs. Tignanello

[ Edited ]

@Willow78 wrote:

p.s.  Just to add onto my overly long post (sorry) - I also see a lot of comments that Tignanello bag quality seems lower now than earlier.  That does make me more cautious about buying them in the future - I believe most, if not all, of my Tig bags are from prior years.  I love the ones I already have and will care for them to make them last as long as possible, though.   Also about the faux leather - since Tig claims this is to make the bag last longer, then I would hope they must be using a type of faux leather that is actually stronger than leather - there are such materials out there.

Indeed, there are such materials out there, but all one has to do is comapare a Tig purchased five or so years ago to what they're selling today. There's no comparison. I'm not saying I don't like some of their 'today' bags, but the quality is just not the same. I was looking at an older Tig bag last night and at the same time pulled out a hobo I bought from them last year that I'm now going to give away. There's nothing wrong with it, but it just doesn't look like a nicer handbag.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Occasional Contributor

Stevieb,

Thank you for taking the time to explain that - yeah, I wasn't so sure about the faux leather really being stronger....I was trying to reason out why they were saying that, but your experience just confirms my suspicions.  I don't think I'll be buying more Tigs in the future - all the ones I have are indeed from past seasons, and I like them because they are fun and will likely last a good long while with care, but I'll be keeping my eye out for another nicer brand in the future.  I also agree that they don't look like higher end bags, at least the more recent ones.  The quality is not in that league.  It's really too bad - the styles and colors are fun but not so trendy to be dated, and I think if they used 100% high quality materials with better quality control in construction they would gain and retain so many more customers.  I would be fine with a higher price if they would do that.  It does seem they are kind of headed down hill, unfortunately. 

Respected Contributor

Almost all my bags are Dooney but I do have three Tig bags I purchased ten or twelve years ago when they were the TSV. They are smallish cross body bags.  They are pebble leather lots of organization.  They have taken a beating over the years but they still look great!  I do get tired of lugging around a heavy bag so I do pull them out of the closet very often.  I always take them when we go on vacation as well.

Occasional Contributor

Well, I think the general tone of this thread kind of answers the OP's question in favor of Dooney, but while on the topic.....I just saw something additionally disturbing about Tignanello handbags - possibly.  There is a Forbes article that was posted in a different thread (thanks TY1!) about the company that owns Tignanello, and I found this quote: "Li & Fung is accused of doing business with factories that have poor safety standards and serious labor violations.  Its Bangladeshi suppliers have been hit by several disasters, including a fire last November that killed at least 110 workers."  I know the Tig bags are made in China, and I don't know if the factories they are made in are hazardous, but it is definitely possible.  That's another reason why I'll look to a different brand in the future.  

Honored Contributor

I owned several Tig bags back in the mid to late 90's when they were made of 100% quality leather.  They slowy started integrating PVC vinyl for handles, handle anchors, and trim.  Then I noticed that they started putting PVC Vinyl on the bottoms and recently I've noticed pockets on the front being vinyl.  Yes, there's leather and it's advertised as a leather bag but in my estimation I'd say about half the bag is leather and it's not the top quality leather they used to do.

I handle handbags all the time as it's what I primarily sell on eBay so I am always scouting around, handling, looking at and evaluating handbags, new and used.  The used newer Tig bags are trashed where there is vinyl.  Held up better where there is leather.

Dooney & Bourke has changed since the late 80's - early 90's when I was first introduced to them but the changes have not been as offensive (to me) as what Tig has done in order to save costs.  D & B still makes a quality, high end handbag.   Tig makes an attractive bag that is mixed media.  That's the reason it isn't $300+.....

It always depends on what you want out of your handbag.  I personally do not want a bag that is mixed materials (Maxx New York does this as well).....  In my view, as far as quality = price, there is no comparison.  Dooney wins hands down IMHO. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*