Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Dooney handles that are just sewn on and stick up....don't like at all

[ Edited ]

@Haircut100 wrote:

Dooney bags are made in China- high luxury priced item made dirt cheap. I had about 5 Dooney bags at one point and when one day I happened to catch a glimpse of the "Made in China" label sewn on the inside, I stopped buying them. The same thing with Coach bags; made in China too. 

I am a little surprised to see people assume, that, Made In China, automatically means  poor quality, or, that,,Made In The USA, or Italy,etc, means fine quality.  Neither are true.

There are fine quality items that come out of China,,and junk that is Made in the USA. 

As for stand up handles, as someone else pointed out, they seem to be popular, right now, even with some very high end bags. 

Not my favorite look, but, not an automatic deal breaker; depends on the bag.

Honored Contributor

I like totes with handles long enough to sling over my shoulder. It's my favorite style. One of my nicest ones was a woven Brahmin number with stiff sewn-down, rolled handles. I put my bag on my lap a lot-- at restaurants, ball games, etc.-- and the inability to fold down the handles was so annoying, l gave away the bag.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

China, Italy, France, the USA, whatever... I don't mind the look of standup handles and in fact on some bags they look really nice. The function is a whole other thing. I've tried a couple bags with standup handles and it seems like they always get in the way of me getting into the bag.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I like the stand up handles.

Honored Contributor

When they talked about "training" the handles to lie down - it reminded me of the Roma II Training Fiasco...my bag never got soft, supple and trained. I ended up donating it to Goodwill!

Honored Contributor

@Haircut100 wrote:

Dooney bags are made in China- high luxury priced item made dirt cheap. I had about 5 Dooney bags at one point and when one day I happened to catch a glimpse of the "Made in China" label sewn on the inside, I stopped buying them. The same thing with Coach bags; made in China too. 

Dooney TSVs, in particular, always seem to be cheaply made...they cut a lot of corners to reduce the price.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to agree that I wasn't a fan of the sewn on handles on the recent TSV.  To me it cheapened the look, and usefulness, of the bag.  Probably to get it to the price point QVC wanted .

A few months back I order this D&B embossed satchel from QVC for $348.  While I too prefer handles that lay down when there is a long strap attached, I find I can live with these.  And I think these are a higher quality than what was on the TSV.   I use this satchel a lot for work.

Dooney & Bourke Claremont Woven Embossed Domed Satchel

Respected Contributor

Over the years I have found that I rarely use the bags I have that have handles that do not fold down.  I find it very difficult to get into the bag with the handles in the way.  Dooney tends to do this on some of their bags.  It is the first thing that I look for when I am interested in buying a bag.  I usually carry a satchel bag but I can also see what you are talking about with the ones that have a long strap along with the handles. 

Respected Contributor

My pet peeve with bags is when they have 2 sets of straps.  A removable shoulder strap and wrist handles.  Hate that.  I want the wrist handles to be removable (or better yet, not there at all).

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Which bag was it? All my bags with a shoulder strap and handles have handles that lay down.