Trusted Contributor

Dooney florentine - breaking period?

I've had a Dooney Florentine bag for about a year now and the leather has always been very stiff and structured.  I am hopeful that it will become a little softer through use, but I never seem to reach for it since it is so firm and structured!  I know that it will never become a soft, floppy leather, but is there soemthign I can do to break it in a little bit (other than constant use)?  I've seen other structured well-loved bags on other people that have developed a beautiful patina and broken in quality to the leather after years of use and mine looks so "new" every scratch is visible.  I'd just really love It to look more broken in.   Thinking perhaps mink oil and massaging the leather?  Mine is the lighter tan color.

thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney florentine - breaking period?

It is what it is. It could be the specific style and not the leather itself. I have a few Flo bags and while they all hold their shape some are more structured than others. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

It is what it is. It could be the specific style and not the leather itself. I have a few Flo bags and while they all hold their shape some are more structured than others. 

Agree. It's a thicker, heavier leather and while some silhouettes might become more supple, a lot depends on the specific bag and how it was constructed. No amount of use if probably going to make a highly structured bag made out of a harder leather significantly more malleable...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I have a couple Dooney bags and I actually can't stand them for this very reason. First they are so heavy before you even put anything in them and then the leather just stays stiff and never seems to soften up. I think they are beautiful bags and I wish I could enjoy the brand but I just don't.

Respected Contributor

To which Florentine bag are you referring?  The degree of softness or lack thereof depends in part on the bag design and the leather. For instance,  I was carrying a yummy, squashy Dooney Florentine satchel the other day. Soft and malleable. I find that's the pebble leathers tend to remain rather stiff, but perhaps that's because if the generally structured designs. The Florentine Barlows have thick leather that is not supposed to become slouchy because that would destroy the undulating shape. I treat my Dooneys to the same Bick 4 conditioner that I use on riding boots and saddle, which protects and softens the leather. Btw, The Liebeskind bags are generally unstructured and slouchy, so that brand may be more your style. 

Respected Contributor

@Mrsq2022 @libbyannE @stevieb @jaxs mom

I have a large Dooney collection.

I have the Florentine hobo logo lock, and it is getting softer, a bit more slouchy. I have the Florentine Dooney in several satchels, they have not softened. As others have mentioned, it depends on the design style.

The old get-your-bag-slouchy-quicker trick is to fill it with bottles of shampoo or soup cans, hang it on a doorknob for several days, as the leather learns to  adjust. Of course, it still all depends on the design . . .

Honored Contributor

@1Professor Yes, I too will put a large, sealed bottle of water, books or something else in a bag and hang it to try to help break it in. This even helps when, for whatever reason, a bag has become slightly misshapen. Agree, though, that this won't do much to 'break in' a more structured bag. Even they will soften a bit over time, but odds are they aren't ever going to be appreciably more flexible...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@1Professor The one I have is clayton satchel in natural.  The website refers to the leather as supple and develops beautiful patina over time.  For me, it is not supple (it is very stiff, firm saddle leather that shows scratches and bend marks) and the patina is not coming on easily lol.  

I think my my main issue with it is the front two pockets have flaps of leather that must be lifted up to access the front pockets.  On my bag, those flaps are extremely stiff and show creases where I have to bend them upward to access the pockets.  I was hoping to treat the leather a little so that the front pockets were more accessible to me.  They actually sort of scratch the backs of my hands when I lift the flaps to slide a cell phone in....

I think I'm just not happy with the very structured saddle leather and as someone said "it is what it is" lol.  It just wasn't the right bag for me.

Honored Contributor

I have bags that I bought because I loved the look but realized that I didn't like their functionality or some other feature. I've accepted that it was a live and learn thing. It's too bad it was such an expensive lesson. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I have bags that I bought because I loved the look but realized that I didn't like their functionality or some other feature. I've accepted that it was a live and learn thing. It's too bad it was such an expensive lesson. 

Agreed.

I've gone though soooo many bags (and shoes... and clothes....makeup lol) where this is the case.  This one seemed pretty promising, but might make a family member very happy Smiley Wink

The worst part is that this isn't an "event" bag...I have a few impractical bags that I use only for certain events, and then switch right back when over!  This one (in the natural especially) is not something I'd ever wear "going out" ...It was supposed to be a functional everyday-purse... oh well!  

I do always check the weight of bag before purchase because I know that's a deal breaker (bad B Makowsky experience lol)  And I know exterior (and separate) cell and key pockets with zipper (or other very secure pocket) is important.  This darn Dooney has so many good features, the inflexibility of the leather wasn't even on my radar.