Contributor

Re: Dooney fans: can you please explain their appeal and super high prices?

I think I'm a fan of Dooneys because they last & last. They are durable and go well with casual & dressy outfits. I like that it's very easy to arrange my things in their purses. My older Dooneys look just as good as the last one I purchased. I'm liking some of their brighter colors right now.  The materials are long lasting & durable. 

Trusted Contributor

@gramygram wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

Bait post.  If you dont like the brand, fine.  Asking others to explain why they do is useless.  

Agree. I love the Dooney brand but others don't and I'm not going to make someone else love what they don't. 

I totally agree.  I think it this is one of those things that if you have to have it explained to you, you just won't "get it."  Very strange post.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dooney isn't about "innovation." Look, most of the really expensive bags have classic designs.  Dooney is more about classic styling. I agree that qualtiy of these bags isn't what it once was, but  bags aren't these days, to be honest. This has been said by others. . I don't have tons of Dooney either and I tend to buy the more classic designs becauuse of the price tag. DB's presence on the Q may also have something to do with people collecting lots of them. It does. One can't ignore that and then one is comparing DB bags against QVC fare. 

I just got a glimpse of the Toscana stitch hobo and that looks like a beautiful. I'ts not the cheapest ar $400-plus, but a really nice handbag. So not all Dooney's are created equal. And if there's one good thing about them, they evenutally go on sale and that's even better. 

There's something out there for everyone's taste and budget

Valued Contributor

I don't think Dooneys are expensive for what you get. I enjoy the feel of them in my hands. I like the styling and the leather and the quality of the construction and everything about them. I have several in different sizes and types of leather and don't buy anything else but Dooney when I buy  a new handbag. They are just right for me. I enjoy my Dooneys.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have 8 Dooney bags and love them.  Unfortunately, I've noticed the quality is declining and I will probably be on a search for a different brand. 

I ordered one several months ago and 4 of the handbags were defective.  I kept exchanging them for another one and just couldn't get a perfect bag.  I quit at exchanging 4 handbags.

That's sad for the price.  

I have never had a defect! Wow. What bad luck,

Honored Contributor

Why do care?  I own 6, maybe 7 Dooney bags.  The appeal to me was that.....I liked them.  I liked the styles and the workmanship and the colors.   And I certainly do not think that a $300 or $400 or $500 bag is super expensive.  Perhaps you do but that is just your opinion.  Perhaps you haven't heard but people have a wide range of incomes and what is expensive for one person is dirt cheap for another person.  What was the point of silly post like this anyway?  If you prefer MK, go buy a MK.  We Dooney lovers won't bash because......we don't care bags you carry.  

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

@gramygram wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

Bait post.  If you dont like the brand, fine.  Asking others to explain why they do is useless.  

Agree. I love the Dooney brand but others don't and I'm not going to make someone else love what they don't. 

I totally agree.  I think it this is one of those things that if you have to have it explained to you, you just won't "get it."  Very strange post.

It's part of that nasty trend that seems to be growning.  The group who probably can't afford the things they see and it makes them feel bad and then they get bitter and resentful and start some silly thread about how expensive something is.  The sad part is that the things they think are so outrageously expensive really aren't.  There was a time way back when we lived on hubby's income and had kids and I was sahm and things were tight and I couldn't afford the things I would have liked to buy.  But I never bashed women who could have those things and I never tried to make myself feel better by thinking that anything I couldn't afford was overpriced.  For me it was I bought and treasured things I could afford and I knew that things would get bette for us.  Eventually I would go back to work and I'd be able to have nicer things but I felt bitter about my circumstances.  

Super Contributor

First, let me say I think this is an odd post. It's like asking can someone explain the appeal of a redhead, or a blonde, a tall person, a cat instead of a dog....we are all drawn to different things. With that said, I love Dooney handbags and have bought more than a few in my day. With my minor back issues now, I can't carry the leather ones for long periods of time, but they are still beautiful, quality handbags!

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Honored Contributor

I liked the Florentine line they had a few years ago but they have really shrunk it. I do have a few Dooney bags but too often they lack organization and I hate the tan contrasting leather on the corners and handles of some of their lines. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I don't find it strange or inappropriate for someone to ask, legitimately, why I might or might not like something. I think what is rankling some is the seeming judgement that they shouldn't...

Personally, as noted, I've grown weary of Dooney and am no longer interested in the brand, though there might be a specific bag here or there that catches my eye... Regardless, as has been noted, everyone is free to pursue whatever bags or brands capture their interest... and not to pursue those that don't have individual appeal...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...