Frequent Contributor

Re: Dooney fans: can you please explain their appeal and super high prices?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that is why there are Fords, Chevys, and s host of other manufacturers. Whether or not the younger women are carrying Dooneys or Patricia Nash doesn't matter to me. I have carried Dooneys because the styles I have purchased, I liked. I am very hard on a bag, and I prefer s bag that can hold up under tough circumstances. MK was the flavour of the month for years, but it appears to be losing its position as the current fad. Whether anyone else likes my bags is irrelevant to me. I like them.i have bags over 25 years old (Not all Dooney) and I love them. I only buy purses that last, that take a beating and still look great. Some women buy lots of inexpensive clothes that are in style while others buy fewer but more expensive clothes that are classic styles so don't go out of style, and are well made do they last for many years. No method is better than the other, it is all personal taste. Do what makes you happy and don't look back!
Respected Contributor

Bait post.  If you dont like the brand, fine.  Asking others to explain why they do is useless.  

Respected Contributor

I didn't even know what a "Dooney" was until I joined this forum and umteen number of Dooney bags later, well that's another story.

I like Dooney because I can trade them in and get a credit on a brand new bag.   I buy a Coach and I have, and have nothing to show for them, they sit in my closet, or I toss them or I donate them but that's it, with a Dooney I believe I'm repurposing them.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

I'm also attracted to the patent leather versions, I like the high shine, I like the overall look and they are "different" you don't find yourself walking past too many Dooney's vs MK or even Coach.

Super High Prices are all in perspective....they are actually too cheap if you make a really high wage or you can say they are expensive if you are around min wage.    .....and that even doesn't sum it up, it all depends on your values, I would say Dooney's are reasonably priced yet a McDonalds's Big Mac is way overpriced.  This is just an example.  I would love to buy a Fendi bag from NM but to me, those are super high priced.  Just how you think about it.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

It's a matter of personal taste.

I don't care at all for Michael Kors for the same reasons you don't get D&B.   

Plus I see MK everywhere, I don't see D&B everywhere.

D&B is a very quality product, IMO.

MK may be as well.

But again, it's personal taste.  I've never had a bad experience with MK, the only reason I'm not interested is because everywhere I go, I see women carry MK.   I like something different.

@glamwitch wrote:

Would a fan of Dooney & Bourke bags please enlighten me about (a) why you like them so much and (b) why are they the highest priced bags sold on the Q (or so it seems).

I love a stylish, well-made bag as much as the next shopper, and I own bags by several designers. But I just don't get the appeal of the Dooney bags. They appear to be well made, but I don't think the styling is especially innovative. In other words, I wouldn't turn one down if I received it as a gift. But I don't like their styles enough to go out and buy one.

Most designer bags are pricey, without a doubt. I almost fainted dead away recently when I saw the price of a Stella McCartney bag I fell in love with. But why are the Dooney prices so much higher than those of other brands?  I feel like I can get more for the money from another designer brand like Michael Kors or Patricia Nash.

Completely agree with your Michael Kors evaluation!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

Bait post.  If you dont like the brand, fine.  Asking others to explain why they do is useless.  

Agree. I love the Dooney brand but others don't and I'm not going to make someone else love what they don't. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO you either like something or you don't.  No one should have to explaine the appeal.  If you don't care for them, buy the brand you like.  I personally don't consider D&B prices to be super high.  The price of an Hermes bag is super high.  A D&B?  Not so much.

Plus you need to look around.  I just bought a D&B from Macy's.  Original price was $298.00.  After discounts and I did have some gift cards with a few bucks on them, my total was just a little over $99.00 that I had to pay in cash.  Even without my gift cards, my total was under $135.00.  I don't consider that a lot of money for a handbag but I realize everyone is different.  

Respected Contributor

I'm not a real big fan of Dooney's pebble leather as I prefer a smoother texture but I don't care for extremely thick, heavy bags like many of the florentine.  I did purchase a black florentine satchel a few years ago and the smell that came with it never disappeared.  I have one other florentine bag - the small toggle sack and you really have to stick your nose into the leather to smell it,,,,with the satchel all you have to do is breathe while it's in front of you.  I also find it rather odd that many of their bags have no feet. 

Honored Contributor

For me, it's not so much about the cost, I've simply grown weary of Dooney. Part of it relates back to the constant barrage of Dooney shows featured here over the course of the past decade and increasingly over past several years. Personally, I'm no longer watching them and frankly wish they'd bring in a few brands other than Dooney, Kerstsnberg and the occasional Gili or orayany... and then actually promote and program them...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I own one Dooney and will never buy another one. Too many Dooney shows. I now wear light weight cross body bags. Cannot wear heavy bags. 

Esteemed Contributor

This request to Dooney fans to explain why we like their bags ("and super high prices?") baffles me. Honestly, what is your point, and why do you want to know? Would you walk up to a customer in Macy's or Nordstrom's and ask them why they are buying an expensive pair of shoes that you don't like or a bag that you don't like? I doubt it. We all have our preferences for certain products and brands, and the prices that we can afford to pay. If you don't like Dooney bags, that's your choice. But please don't ask me to explain to you why I choose the quality (and price) of a Dooney or Brahmin, or whatever brand I like. If you don't like them or their prices then just move on. Buy what you like and spend what you want - I won't ask you to explain your choices, and I won't explain my choices to you either.