Frequent Contributor

Dooney fans: can you please explain their appeal and super high prices?

Would a fan of Dooney & Bourke bags please enlighten me about (a) why you like them so much and (b) why are they the highest priced bags sold on the Q (or so it seems).

I love a stylish, well-made bag as much as the next shopper, and I own bags by several designers. But I just don't get the appeal of the Dooney bags. They appear to be well made, but I don't think the styling is especially innovative. In other words, I wouldn't turn one down if I received it as a gift. But I don't like their styles enough to go out and buy one.

Most designer bags are pricey, without a doubt. I almost fainted dead away recently when I saw the price of a Stella McCartney bag I fell in love with. But why are the Dooney prices so much higher than those of other brands?  I feel like I can get more for the money from another designer brand like Michael Kors or Patricia Nash.

Super Contributor

Re: Dooney fans: can you please explain their appeal and super high prices?

@glamwitch

I am not a fanatic, but I will answer.  I own 5, that I have bought over the years.  I like them because of the classic style.  They never go out of style.  The hardware will not tarnish, the lining will not tear, and they last for years, and years.  The leather will only get softer.  They are not overly priced in my opinion.  They are on the low end of handbags, considering that designer bags run into the thousands of dollars, and many are just coated cotton.  The Q always has them on easypay, which is how I have bought mine.  I cannot afford $250 for a bag, but I can afford 5 easy pays of $40 some dollars a month.  I can easily carry a bag that I bought last Christmas, as easy as one I bought 15 years ago.  They last forever.  

Honored Contributor

It's a matter of personal taste.

I don't care at all for Michael Kors for the same reasons you don't get D&B.   

Plus I see MK everywhere, I don't see D&B everywhere.

D&B is a very quality product, IMO.

MK may be as well.

But again, it's personal taste.  I've never had a bad experience with MK, the only reason I'm not interested is because everywhere I go, I see women carry MK.   I like something different.

@glamwitch wrote:

Would a fan of Dooney & Bourke bags please enlighten me about (a) why you like them so much and (b) why are they the highest priced bags sold on the Q (or so it seems).

I love a stylish, well-made bag as much as the next shopper, and I own bags by several designers. But I just don't get the appeal of the Dooney bags. They appear to be well made, but I don't think the styling is especially innovative. In other words, I wouldn't turn one down if I received it as a gift. But I don't like their styles enough to go out and buy one.

Most designer bags are pricey, without a doubt. I almost fainted dead away recently when I saw the price of a Stella McCartney bag I fell in love with. But why are the Dooney prices so much higher than those of other brands?  I feel like I can get more for the money from another designer brand like Michael Kors or Patricia Nash.

Honored Contributor

@glamwitch: I agree with your thoughts. While the Dooneys are nice bags, l don't think they justify the cost. I feel that the quality of Dooney-- and Coach as well-- is not what it used to be. I will buy a Dooney occasionally if it's on sale. PN, MK, and also Brahmin, have more interesting styles along with better value, IMO.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Anytime I'm out and about, I would say at least fifty percent of the women I see are all carrying the Michael Kors tote with double handles and his initials stamped all over it. 

I have owned only one of his bags and it was an all leather hobo style.  The shoulder strap had heavy gold chains which made it uncomfortable to carry, plus it collapsed every time I sat it down.  I don't like unstructured bags so I ended up selling it. 

I've been carrying Dooney and Bourke a lot longer than QVC has been presenting them.  I think for what I am looking for in a handbag and what I am willing to pay, Dooney and Bourke is the best.  Quality leather, structure, and traditional styles that I prefer.  They offer a variety of leathers and finishes.  I really like their bags. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually, they are priced lower than many comparable brands, and I don't know why. The best dooneys, costing roughly between $450 and $700, can be compared in quality to bags costing more than $1,000. In any case, I have bought dooneys since my first one costing $240 in 1980 or 1981 and love the look and quality. You get the look or you don't. It's you or it isn't. There's no right or wrong. Buy what YOU love! I also love some coach bags  (the last one I bought was $500) and Ghurkas.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Dooneys because they look good no matter what. They have a variety of sizes (I only buy small bags like Ruby, Ginger Pouchette or Sawyer size) because I don't need a large bag. The price point is reasonable. In fact I just bought a black pebble leather Ruby bag today. They are lightweight for the most part. They aren't super trendy and aren't all over the place like Michael Kors or have the name stamped all over it. In fact just today as I was walking around Dillards with my Dooney that I was going to purchase the sales clerk tried to convince me that Michael Kors had the same bag in a different and better leather. I looked at it and there was no comparison. Dooney was pebble leather, Kors was also leather but looked cheap and plastic. I also like Brahmin but I'm getting a bit tired of the alligator/crocodile   pattern and the strange shiny patterns.

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I like Dooneys because they look good no matter what. They have a variety of sizes (I only buy small bags like Ruby, Ginger Pouchette or Sawyer size) because I don't need a large bag. The price point is reasonable. In fact I just bought a black pebble leather Ruby bag today. They are lightweight for the most part. They aren't super trendy and aren't all over the place like Michael Kors or have the name stamped all over it. In fact just today as I was walking around Dillards with my Dooney that I was going to purchase the sales clerk tried to convince me that Michael Kors had the same bag in a different and better leather. I looked at it and there was no comparison. Dooney was pebble leather, Kors was also leather but looked cheap and plastic. I also like Brahmin but I'm getting a bit tired of the alligator/crocodile   pattern and the strange shiny patterns.

Totally agree, even about Brahmin. Your answer was more helpful than mine!

Honored Contributor

Speaking for myself, I've navigated away from buying 'brands' toward obtaining bags I like... regardless of brand... All of the brands mentioned make some rather lovely bags and all of them make some losers... And there are lovely bags to be had by brands not mentioned here...

What I can say for Dooney, tired as I am of them... and with no plans to acquire more of their bags, is they sell the same bags regardless of the venue at which you buy them. In other words, they don't, as far as I know, produce 'tiers' of bags to be sold specifically at discount and outlet stores. I suppose the one exception would be those bags made specifically to be TSV's for QVC...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I have 8 Dooney bags and love them.  Unfortunately, I've noticed the quality is declining and I will probably be on a search for a different brand. 

I ordered one several months ago and 4 of the handbags were defective.  I kept exchanging them for another one and just couldn't get a perfect bag.  I quit at exchanging 4 handbags.

That's sad for the price.