Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke sold on EBay...

@momjules wrote:

The qvc outlet has great sales and they put dooneys on sale for 69.00 to 89.00 

so you buy from there and then "lose" money when you sell it!

@momjules...Your post confuses me...dahblink.gif

Frequent Contributor

Why does it confuse you?

Frequent Contributor

eBay sellers can go to the qvc outlets where maybe today's special value leftovers are.

buy them on sale for 89.00 and sell a 210.00 bag for 189.00 saying they are taking a loss. They just made a 100.00

Honored Contributor

@momjules How can a seller lose money selling a D&B handbag/tote/etc when they buy it so cheap and sell at a high profit?

Frequent Contributor

Sorry my numbers are wrong. Oops!

Honored Contributor

@momjules wrote:

eBay sellers can go to the qvc outlets where maybe today's special value leftovers are.

buy them on sale for 89.00 and sell a 210.00 bag for 189.00 saying they are taking a loss. They just made a 100.00

@momjules  Sigh...

That is why I told @libbyannE (above post) that I was going to call a D&B outlet store either tomorrow or Tuesday to find out if they do sell QVC TSV's at a deep discount.

I don't know since there is no D&B outlet store anywhere near me to even know!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Didn't QVC use to sell pallets of unwanted merchandise to merchants who would turn around and sell their items on Ebay?  I'm not sure they still do this.

You can tell when a QVC outlet has a new shipment of merchandise because lots of those items quickly turn up on Ebay.  

Ebay has a page on telling if a Dooney is a fake.  I think it was a bigger problem in the old days as the bags were more of a luxury item.  There are also websites that will help you authenticate a bag.

Honored Contributor

@athenian wrote:

Didn't QVC use to sell pallets of unwanted merchandise to merchants who would turn around and sell their items on Ebay?  I'm not sure they still do this.

You can tell when a QVC outlet has a new shipment of merchandise because lots of those items quickly turn up on Ebay.  

Ebay has a page on telling if a Dooney is a fake.  I think it was a bigger problem in the old days as the bags were more of a luxury item.  There are also websites that will help you authenticate a bag.

@athenian  Do you live near the QVC outlet in PA?...or did you work at a QVC outlet store to be able to see new pallets arrive?

I know the QVC outlet closed in MN...

As for getting a fake D&B...I'm not concerned at all Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise  Nope, not near and never been to an outlet.  But I have bought items on Ebay that still had the tag from the outlet.  And when looking for a certain watch, all of a sudden there were lots, all at a good price.  I don't think 25 women all had buyer's remorse at the same time.  I was happy to get what I wanted at a good price, and it's fine that the seller made some money, too

The "pallets" I mentioned was not stuff from the outlets.  I think I read about a program that QVC had that allowed certain people to buy large quantities of unsold items which they could then re-sell.  I'm not sure this still happens.  But it made sense to me as to why there were rarely any really good sales on QVC.  They were clearing out the merchandise another way.

I figure Ebay has the info on telling if a Dooney is a fake because there are some out there.

Honored Contributor

There are sellers on ebay who buy 'lots' of miscellaneous merchandise from various retailers and resell them a piece at a time. These lots are picked up relatively inexpensively compared to the price individual items within the lots would go for at retail so even if they undersell the original asking price, they're still turning a profit.  

In my pantry with my cupcakes...