Valued Contributor

Dooney & Bourke smooth leather

I just ordered and received today my first DB handbag--the Trixie in smooth leather--and I'm rather disappointed. First, I can tell it has to be a return since I'm sure all new bags have their straps wrapped up (this one does not). If this was the only issue, I might be OK with my purchase. However, unless DB make their smooth leathers differently from how other brands do, this purse is definitely NOT smooth, it's pebble.

If any of you own the Trixie in smooth leather (or any of DB's other handbags in smooth), could you please verify for me that the leather should, indeed, be smooth and not bumpy as pebble is. Most of my handbags are old Tigs, so in comparing the pebble and smooth of that brand, this DB is pebble, despite how it's labeled. Am I wrong? Shouldn't the smooth not have bumps? Thanks for any help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke smooth leather

I've bought maybe 9 or 10 Dooneys and kept most and given away several.

I have one now that I haven't even used (it looks more wintery).

I keep a few cross-body ones in my car.

I just bought one the other day.  It's not like any I have ever bought.  I'm too lazy to look up which it is.

It's the one Sue said was brand new.  It has a handle on it (not cross-body).  It's red.  I'm looking forward to getting it but now I don't know if I'll keep it.

I just took out my one that has the wisteria decorations I carry in the Spring and some of the Summer.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have Dooey's with smooth leather.  The leather is different than the pebble leather.  The pebble leather is thicker and textured.

The  smooth leather does have some fine grain it in, but it is light and fine.

i have attached a picture of both types of leather so you can compare.

CB718654-4FD6-4243-B8E4-559E0D3208CB.jpegF3FF31BE-F885-44C2-9C93-E6166170C965.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

I have the smooth leather Trixie and it is definitely smooth.  Sounds like they shipped you the wrong item.  Make sure you calls customer service and tell them so that all the shipping & return charges are credited back to you.  I have the Trixie in pebble leather, patent leather and smooth leater.  Recently purchased the large Trixie and I love them all.

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful bags @Carmie.  I especially like the top one!

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1  Thank you.  I have been carrying this bag all winter now.  I like it a lot and get tons of compliments.

1988A9AF-1EF4-456A-B9B8-701426ABA55D.jpeg

Super Contributor

I didn't realize Trixie came in different sizes. may I ask which is the large you referred to?

TIA!

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much, carmie, for the pictures. What I got was definitely pebble. Plus, after I posted on here, I discovered another problem. I didn't think the Trixie model had straps where a portion could be removed, but I guess they do. Anyway, before packing the purse back up, I thought I should see where the bag hits me. That's when I found that the strap is NOT a crossbody length--it's, I guess, more like a shoulder bag length. I looked all through the purse for a missing section, but there isn't any. So, another screwup.

Definitely a return from someone. I'm really surprised that the Q messed this up so badly.

Anyway, just want to thank everyone for getting back with me. I really appreciate the help.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Citrine1  Thank you.  I have been carrying this bag all winter now.  I like it a lot and get tons of compliments.

1988A9AF-1EF4-456A-B9B8-701426ABA55D.jpeg

Yes, this is a real beauty.  I especially love the color of this one!

Honored Contributor

I just purchased smooth leather in taupe at Marshalls.  I couldn't resist it for the price.  The leather is like butter.