Super Contributor

And I must say I'm a little disappointed.  I was fairly certain it was going to be from the Beacon collection, which it is.  That being said, why is the strap drop only 8.5?  A 10 " would have made it much more user freindly. .  Also - 2 lbs. 8 oz. - that's a pretty hefty bag empty.  Right now it's an easy pass for me.  Super cute, but just not for me.

Honored Contributor

@DianeFM wrote:

And I must say I'm a little disappointed.  I was fairly certain it was going to be from the Beacon collection, which it is.  That being said, why is the strap drop only 8.5?  A 10 " would have made it much more user freindly. .  Also - 2 lbs. 8 oz. - that's a pretty hefty bag empty.  Right now it's an easy pass for me.  Super cute, but just not for me.

@DianeFM  ITA. I wanted a red bag badly. I put this one on my wishlist, but concerned that strap length would not fit over heavy sweater or coat. I measured my other bags’ handles and if not crossbodies, strap length is around 10”-12” or have adjustability. Bummer! Took the bag off wishlist.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney TSV Is Up!

[ Edited ]

Every Dooney TSV is close to 3 pounds. Very few people want to carry such a heavy bag- It’s a no.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Every Dooney TSV is close to 3 pounds. Very few people want to carry such a heavy bag- It’s a no.

@Skyegirl21  Yes, reason #2 I took it off list.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the scoop, DianeFM!   

I have been stalking the Beacon Zip Tote on donneydotcom and am awaiting reviews on the resilience of the Vachetta leather.  I had a canvas Dooney zip-zip eons ago which had a nudish Vachetta handle and trim and the Vachetta got very splotchy in a relatively short period of time.  Were that to happen with an all-Vachetta bag I would be a very unhappy camper for sure haha!

I will still be happily watching Jill's show with Sue on Saturday Woman Happy but I feel I am likely to pass on this one.  

Respected Contributor

It was up on Wednesday. I ordered two for Xmas for nieces who are college seniors. Each wanted a daily tote that was polished enough for job interviews. For me, I prefer natural untreated vacchetta, but the description of Dooney’s Beacon leather on its site says it is treated to resist water. I am more of a natural leather girl myself, which is why I lean toward Florentine. I don’t understand the comments about weight. I have worn only good leather all my life—my mother trained me well—and most good leather will and should have a bit of weight. If weight is an issue for you, buy one of those ugly and inexpensive fabric bags. My mother is nearly 93 and still carries leather, although she usually carries one of her smaller Chloe bags. 

Respected Contributor

@annespan wrote:

Thanks for the scoop, DianeFM!   

I have been stalking the Beacon Zip Tote on donneydotcom and am awaiting reviews on the resilience of the Vachetta leather.  I had a canvas Dooney zip-zip eons ago which had a nudish Vachetta handle and trim and the Vachetta got very splotchy in a relatively short period of time.  Were that to happen with an all-Vachetta bag I would be a very unhappy camper for sure haha!

I will still be happily watching Jill's show with Sue on Saturday Woman Happy but I feel I am likely to pass on this one.  

@annespan

The description of the Beacon vacchetta on the Dooney site says it is treated to resist moisture, so this is NOT untreated vacchetta. Some buyers will like that. I bought a couple for gifts but did not get one for myself because I prefer natural leather that gets a patina over time. I care for my Florentine bags with the same equestrian Bick 4 leather that I use on my saddle and daily riding boots. 

I hope this Beacon leather, while apparently not natural vacchetta, is not overly treated. (Some leathers in all brands these days end up looking more like plastic because of all the embossing and protective treatments. I avoid most BRAHMIN bags for that reason.)

Like  you, I wish we knew more about this Beacon vacchetta. It may end up being resistant to the marks that your natural vacchetta got over time. Or it may be so overly treated that I will have to return even the two I bought for my nieces! At this low price, I had to give it a try.

Super Contributor

Bless your heart LibbyAnneE!  I too can appreciate good leather handbags.  I have a couple Florentine bags in my collection and do carry them.  I also have a few Kipling handbags and adore them as well.  I'm certain your nieces will adore their new Dooney's at Christmas as this TSV is quite stunning.  Also, you are a very fortunate daughter to still have a mother that enjoys carrying her handbags.  I wish I could say the same about my 88 year old mother.  Sadly she has dementia and doesn't recognize me as her daughter anymore.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney TSV Is Up!

[ Edited ]

@DianeFM

Thank you. Yes, I am blessed to have Mother. She was diagnosed with heart failure this year but soldiers on, still living in her own home with help a couple of times a week, including mine, driving her own car, going to the grocery store, and even continuing some go her pet rescue and charity work. 

I have lved through my dad’s dementia and eventual heart failure at 95 last year. My stepmother, his wife, has had Alzheimer’s for several years, so I really feel for what you must be going through. I wrote bleakly on one of these boards a few years ago, “My dad didn’t recognize me today.” That’s “tough stuff,” Diane, which can put you into a bit of a tailspin. I “crashed” many times and then got back to the tasks at hand, which you obviously are doing. The handbags are simply a fun and fleeting diversion, aren’t they? And you need some happy diversions these days. I change my bag almost daily! Take care of yourself.

Honored Contributor

Aunt @libbyannE, there you are. Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

I love this bag.  I saw some comments in the TSV forum that people don't like the contrast stitching but that is one of the things I like the most about this bag.  I have been wanting a tote for a long time as my everyday bag but they are either way too big, have no closure, handles are all wrong and on and on and on. 

My only issue as I stated in the other thread is the zipper set down into the bag instead of right across the top.  I've had other bags with zippers like this and they are always a pain to zip.  I have to use both hands to zip across.  I'm hoping that's not an issue here.  I'm seriously considering.

I thought about waiting for as-is but I've noticed as-is seems to be getting slim pickings anymore.